Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know a good muffler shop to install my Magnaflow Axleback mufflers Model # 16883

I don't trust the shops around where i live in Ann Arbor.

Thank!

·
Registered
56 Posts
As in these (below)? It is four bolts and about 15 of time. Do you have ramps of jack stands it is super easy to do yourself. If not I work in Ypsi and can help you (ramps or I have access to a hoist at work).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As in these (below)? It is four bolts and about 15 of time. Do you have ramps of jack stands it is super easy to do yourself. If not I work in Ypsi and can help you (ramps or I have access to a hoist at work).

Yes those are it. I don't have any major tools at home just the basic things like a tool box... Etc heh.

If possible could you help me out please? Will pm you my phone #

·
Registered
933 Posts
Things you'll need: good penetrating oil, ramps, basic socket set, high temp RTV silicone sealant, small putty knife. You might also need brillo pad/scotch brite pad, and either a breaker bar or piece of metal pipe for leverage.

Get some good penetrating oil and hose down the existing bolts a couple times in the morning before you're going to do it. Back up the car onto ramps (most auto stores carry then), put it in park, parking brake on.

Crawl under and figure out which socket fits the bolt. Remove bolts and use the breaker/pipe for leverage if needed. Pull muffler down a bit then towards the front of the car. Wiggling them helps as you pull.

Once the old mufflers are off, clean up the flange on the pipe that's still on the car (putty knife/brillo/scotch brite). put a ring of the silicone on the flange, then stick the gasket on it, and put a ring on the other gasket side.

Slide the new muffler up into the hanger, grab a bolt, line it up and get them started by hand. Then just use the socket and get them good and snug. If a little silicone oozes out it's no big deal.

that's it... just two bolts, slide out the old exhaust, slide in the new with gasket stuff and you're done.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thank so much! We took the other half to belle tire and heat did the trick :) we really appreciate all your help! +1 to you.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hope you enjoy it! Not too loud?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hope you enjoy it! Not too loud?

Not to loud at all its what i wanted though! time for a roto fab CAI :)

Thank and will see you at the event!

Things you'll need: good penetrating oil, ramps, basic socket set, high temp RTV silicone sealant, small putty knife. You might also need brillo pad/scotch brite pad, and either a breaker bar or piece of metal pipe for leverage.

Get some good penetrating oil and hose down the existing bolts a couple times in the morning before you're going to do it. Back up the car onto ramps (most auto stores carry then), put it in park, parking brake on.

Crawl under and figure out which socket fits the bolt. Remove bolts and use the breaker/pipe for leverage if needed. Pull muffler down a bit then towards the front of the car. Wiggling them helps as you pull.

Once the old mufflers are off, clean up the flange on the pipe that's still on the car (putty knife/brillo/scotch brite). put a ring of the silicone on the flange, then stick the gasket on it, and put a ring on the other gasket side.

Slide the new muffler up into the hanger, grab a bolt, line it up and get them started by hand. Then just use the socket and get them good and snug. If a little silicone oozes out it's no big deal.

that's it... just two bolts, slide out the old exhaust, slide in the new with gasket stuff and you're done.
thank

·
Drives with wolves
900 Posts
And the training of a new apprentice with home wrenching and mod bug has begun......Rotofab and then a Cortex tuner.....best beginner mod of all times :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Not to loud at all its what i wanted though! time for a roto fab CAI :)

Thank and will see you at the event!

thank
Which event are you referring to?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts