Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to drop the oil pan to replace the seal from the pick-up tube to the block. My dealership's lead technician thinks it may be causing my cold start issues. After reading my workshop manual, I've got a few questions.

First thing is that it says I have to shift my steering rack forward, remove the engine splash shield and the front air deflector. Is that really necessary to get at it? It's been a minute since I've had my car up on blocks, but I don't remember it being that restricted by the oil pan.

Second thing is that it says to seal the pan off with rtv sealant. Is there not a gasket between the block and the oil pan?

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
I need to drop the oil pan to replace the seal from the pick-up tube to the block. My dealership's lead technician thinks it may be causing my cold start issues. After reading my workshop manual, I've got a few questions.

First thing is that it says I have to shift my steering rack forward, remove the engine splash shield and the front air deflector. Is that really necessary to get at it? It's been a minute since I've had my car up on blocks, but I don't remember it being that restricted by the oil pan.

Second thing is that it says to seal the pan off with rtv sealant. Is there not a gasket between the block and the oil pan?
Sealant is definitely needed.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Nature of the cold start issues?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sealant is definitely needed.

Thanks for the info. I did some more digging. It looks like the v6 does not have a gasket like the v8 models and relies entirely on the sealant.

I read through your write up as well. It looks like your drop was a little more complex than mine should be.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Thread is in the V6 Engine Tech section of the forum.

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Thanks for the info. I did some more digging. It looks like the v6 does not have a gasket like the v8 models and relies entirely on the sealant.

I read through your write up as well. It looks like your drop was a little more complex than mine should be.
That wasn't my write up.

Thread is in the V6 Engine Tech section of the forum.
I totally missed that...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nature of the cold start issues?
When I start the car first thing in the morning it fires right up. Then a second or two later the car sputters like it wants to die but catches itself. Sometimes it is barely noticeable, other times it is pretty rough and accompanied by the sound of my timing chain grinding. Every once in awhile it stalls out and throws a general misfire code and misfires on cylinder 1,3, and 5.

After the initial start though, it runs good and I can shut it down and restart it no issues. If it sits for longer than 6 hours or so, then the starting issue returns.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts