Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My auto needs to be replaced. It just so happens the shop I go to has everything I would need to do manual swap. I’m seriously thinking about it. I’ve scoured through many posts here on the subject. But I still have more questions.
1. What kind of power are your cars making?
2. Would it be better to build a TR6060 than using a stock one? I want 500whp some day. I’d think a stock one can handle it. Maybe just need a beefier clutch?
3. Did anyone have issues after install? Shifting? Leaks? Anything at all that affected drivability?
4. Lastly, for now, any tips on the swap and wether or not you regret going manual?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
818 Posts
I haven't done the swap, but do have a worked on M6 car.

500rwhp is fine for a tr6060. Lifespan goes down of you drag or beat on the car constantly.

An LS7 clutch will be fine for your goals. But if you have even the slightest desire to step up the power, go LT1-S triple or RST.

As I said a stock trans will be fine for your goal. I'm at 700 and it's not given me an issue

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT 3 pedal, 6.6l, all forged w/ARP, Pedders Xa & BMR stuff, DSS axels, twin disc clutch.
21 Posts
I did the swap this last summer. I used a Summit Racing twin disc clutch and it came with a billet steel flywheel. Try to find a "wire loom" on ebay.com.au it will make your life much easier. Used the front part of the GXP driveshaft and a new master & slave cylinder. I have the stock plate for the clutch location that I made a template to drill the hole through the firewall. I'm at 450 whp and have no issues with the transmission. Get the MGW shifter as well, much better than stock.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I did mine with all new factory parts. The last M6 harness in the US. I still have some electrical gremlins (no backup lights, etc.) but mechanically everything is great. But truthfully I have not even tried to make them work. I had a C7 corvette the past two years and really did not drive this much at all. I recently sold the vette (the 25-year old crashed and totaled it a week later!) so I'm back to driving the G8 daily again and getting used to it all over again. Did the headliner last week and front lower control arms. It is definitely a throw-back to the muscle car era. I found a GXP diff with 3.70 gears. One thing I will say...this is not a smooth cruising car like it was as an automatic. It is badass and may drive your woman crazy if she likes a cushy, "mature" ride. In fact the ladies that ride with me all say the same thing, "why does it have an old transmission - you ruined it!". This is high school stuff. Badass, run it through the gears, high school daze! And if you are on the gas going through the gears with a decent cam, exhaust, and accompanying mods it is a full on race car. Some may tire of that after a while if it is their DD. But if you are into that sort of thing then it is a total turn on.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I doubt you will find a used GXP trans to rebuild. I bought mine new and the price has increased, if you can even get them anymore. You will observe that every model of the TR-6060 has unique gear ratios for each gear. The GXP has a lot of gear for 1, 2, and 3 to get the heavy girl moving. If you buy "just any" TR-6060 the gear ratios may not work as well for your G8. And then the 3.70 or 3.90 diff will be even more important for you. Personally I'm shopping for a cast iron ZL-1 3.90. Blew my GXP spiders doing a gnarly burnout but was able to rebuild it with the spiders from my standard diff. Works fine so far but I'm careful with the burnouts now.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Chevy SS has the same drivetrain as the G8 GXP.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts