Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have recently got a G8 with the V6 this is my first G8 so I am new to this game.

I would like to do something with the exhaust and I have read a lot of threads on here already about different exhaust options but I have a few questions that it would be cool if one of you more experienced guys could answer for me.

When looking at exhaust systems online, specifically cat-back, many of them say for 6.0 and 6.2 V8. However, I have seen people on here talk about putting the GT and GXP exhausts on their V6's. So my question is can I put any cat-back exhaust system on my V6 regardless of if it says for V8? Are modifications required if I want to put GT or GXP or any V8 exhaust components on my V6?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
There was a guy with a v6 who swapped an entire GXP catback system with an x pipe in there as well. This leads me to believe that you can swap OEM exhausts with no problems.
As far as aftermarket systems go, I dont know. They are bolt in kits so i don't see why they wouldn't... but know that they are designed for the V8s. The sound and tone might be affected in some way. Someone should chime in with more info hopefully.
Have you browsed the V6 sections at all?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
141 Posts
The cat-back/axle-back sections are all interchangeable. You won't see a change in sound installing the G8GT axle-back on a G8V6 as they internal construction is the same; only the tips are different. The G8GXP axle-back will sound more aggressive than the G8V6 or G8GT units.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I've spent as much time reading other stuff on here as I could before posting because I didn't want to look like I hadn't done my homework. I couldn't find anything directly pertaining to my question other then people with V6's have put GT and GXP axle-back and cat-back systems on their V6's but I wasn't sure if they had to do any cutting or anything to do that or if it was straight bolt-on.

Thanks for your input though. Now I need to find someone with a V6 that has a V8 exhaust to see if the sound is bad.

·
Registered
528 Posts
You can do anything with a cutting torch and a welder :wink2:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am trying to avoid too much hack and slash I am no where near qualified for modification of that kind. I'm trying to keep it to bolt ons. I'll do what I have too though since a v6 exhaust system seems to be difficult to find.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
I had Solo axle backs on my Base, they sounded dam good. The hardest part of these cars is the drone, check the exaust section for ideas. You tube is another place to check on them, just type G8 and see what comes up....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah i've caught a lot of people on here talking about the drone from a v6 with aftermarket exhausts. If I just axle back instead of cat-back would drone be less likely?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I had solo axle backs only and the drone was horrendous at cruising speeds.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well ****. Karlhungus what do you have on yours now? anything?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Well ****. Karlhungus what do you have on yours now? anything?
Went back to stock with some 3" tips. Our V6s are very tricky when it comes to exhaust. What sounds great on one, sounds like **** on another. Ask me how I know, lol.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Went back to stock with some 3" tips. Our V6s are very tricky when it comes to exhaust. What sounds great on one, sounds like **** on another. Ask me how I know, lol.
Im going to assume you know because you have been through quite a few exhausts.

·
Registered
864 Posts
3 more sleeps til I get my solo mach shorty catback exhaust installed will post pics and a vid...

·
Registered
864 Posts
here ya go Solo Mach Shorty Cat back exhaust with a J Pipe on My V6 that's without my Headers or HFC's installed yet so its just a start but it sounds great better in person and drives even better now

·
Decepticon
180 Posts
Havent been on here in while otherwise I would have let you know whats up when it comes to exhaust me and hazer have the been with 2 total diff set ups and add on rich too to the list so if you have any questions we have tried them and otherwise know best

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.