Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So every time I start my G8 the green light shows for daytime lights, are they supposed to stay on when its bright and sunny out? I don't know how to turn them off and I have seen that someone else has no light on his dash but still has the back illuminated dash? I am confused because if there is a way to turn them off that would be great! I don't think they need to run all day when its bright out lol. And this only shows the green light and the back illumination on the dash does not come on. So I only have a green light on and nothing else is lit up lol, any ideas? If there is a way to disable them from running in the day time that would be great! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Daytime running lights are for other drivers, and not for you. It wasn't the standard in the US at first, but Canada was doing this for a while before the US. There was much humor in WNY about that back in the day... :D

Anyways, it is intended to make a car stand out when distance or other factors are considered.

If you want to turn it off a simple turn of the light switch counterclockwise will turn the lights off. It'll spring back into position, and another turn will turn them back on.

If somebody misjudges your distance or somehow misses you because you blended in with the traffic jam in the other lane, don't come back and quote me as the cause. ;) :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Daytime running lights are for other drivers, and not for you. It wasn't the standard in the US at first, but Canada was doing this for a while before the US. There was much humor in WNY about that back in the day... :D

Anyways, it is intended to make a car stand out when distance or other factors are considered.

If you want to turn it off a simple turn of the light switch counterclockwise will turn the lights off. It'll spring back into position, and another turn will turn them back on.

If somebody misjudges your distance or somehow misses you because you blended in with the traffic jam in the other lane, don't come back and quote me as the cause. ;) :D
I have does this before and it engages again and wont turn off when I am in drive :| I dont know how to turn them off for good lol any idea?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Let me go check....

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Well, I double checked, and I don't know. You can turn them off that way at night and they won't come back on.

It's one turn to the O from Auto and it should go right off. One turn to O again will turn it back on.

·
Registered
648 Posts
You could do like my car and pull the DRL fuse. lol

I have HIDs, so the previous owner pulled the fuse to keep the HIDs from being on during the day. Not sure which fuse it is as I didn't do it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You could do like my car and pull the DRL fuse. lol

I have HIDs, so the previous owner pulled the fuse to keep the HIDs from being on during the day. Not sure which fuse it is as I didn't do it.
LOL that sounds like a good idea, thanks lol might do that in the future.

·
Registered
648 Posts
LOL that sounds like a good idea, thanks lol might do that in the future.
Looks like it's fuse F21. But that's from the internet and the internet can lie. :D

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Still would want to know why the switch isn't working.....

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
they can't be turned off. Only while in park.
As soon as you put back into gear, they will be on as expected.
Hmmm... This I've never noted. I only tested in Park. :D

I've never had a car where I couldn't turn the DRLs off.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
So, I just tested that assertion. It is incorrect. At least it is for the 2009 model year. Are we talking about an updated 2009.5 model perhaps?

While driving I turned it off and on multiple times, and I verified that it was actually off. The car in front method works wonders.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Pulled either the daytime running lamps relay and/or fuse years ago in order to prolong the life of the headlamps and prevent the housing from melting and/or become fatigued due to the buildup of excess heat. The headlamps last longer even though they are supposedly burning at a lower wattage when the daytime running lamps are on.

·
Premium Member
4,197 Posts
"Jova007200" has it right. I'll add this to it >>>>> My car is a 09 midyear version. Daytime stuff #1 --- If you start the car in your garage an (due to the available light within), the car by design will immediately go into the *all exterior lights on mode at ignition key turn on. You can (as I always do) either have the spring loaded lights knob already rotated an held (while starting the car) or rotate an release after engine start, which will cancel *all* the exterior lights. If you do nothing for the rest of the ignition cycle (in the daylight), *all* lights will remain off. #2---- If you do *nothing* at engine start (in the garage) all exterior lights will remain illuminated until the car is out in the daylight. At that time, the the car will default *back* to the DRL mode, turning on the green headlight symbol in your cluster (to advise you that the headlights *only* are now illuminated at the dimmer DRL level), an remain illuminated until completion of the ignition cycle. #3---- IF the car is started in daylight time, the car will go (by design), into the DRL mode an remain active unless you choose shut them down, and as stated, you can cycle back an forth into, an out of, the DRL mode all you want. If the car you own *was* initially destined for Canada, the DRL override function was eliminated. They want those DRL lights illuminated *all* the time during the daylight hours up there. #4>>>> I have not proven this out, but I believe if I have moved the DRL lights to off (an dusk/dark is upon me), the auto exterior lights function *will not**turn on as it normally would. You'll be driving around in the dark (not unlike) a lot of Toyota's due out there at night that seem to be missing those (nice to have) available light sensing devices on top of their IP . #5----- After ignition shutoff, the car defaults back to normal. meaning if in daylight, the DRL will come on at ignition turn on. Or all lights will turn on at night time. >>>>>>> Nite time ------- All exterior lights illuminate at ignition on. You can of course move the knob CCW an go into the stealth mode, or move to the right for parking lights only etc. Cycling CCW again, will restore all the exterior an interior lights (back into there auto mode). I hate to pull into a driveway to make a U turn (with the headlights on). So I select running light so as to not bother anybody more than I already am. After completion, it's back to the auto mode

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, I just tested that assertion. It is incorrect. At least it is for the 2009 model year. Are we talking about an updated 2009.5 model perhaps?

While driving I turned it off and on multiple times, and I verified that it was actually off. The car in front method works wonders.
Yes we are, i have the updated one. It is nice and was expensive but I guess you cant turn the lights off which is fine. I was just curious.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Yes we are, i have the updated one. It is nice and was expensive but I guess you cant turn the lights off which is fine. I was just curious.
Then it appears your car is as Gopherit said. Your car is provisioned for use in Canada. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts