Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. New to the forum here. Happy G8 GT owner since 2019. I’ve just gotten my car back from my builder with a freshened up motor with Pypes full exhaust( Violator axle backs).It sounds amazing!!! It just so happens to be on the loud side.Love my neighbors and want to keep it that way. Can anyone recommend a muffler that is loud? I’ve got the “Truck Norris” cam and sounds nice. Not trying to erase the engine sound, just want it a little quieter til WOT!!!!

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT
554 Posts
Check into X-Force Varex mufflers with cut outs in the muffler, loud or quiet at the push of a button.

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
Still have the stock GT mufflers?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Yes I do! I will definitely do that first. Does anyone know how much that affects performance? That what be the only reason I would look aftermarket. Thanks!
It won't make a difference on the street. If you go to the track you can slap the noise makers back on.

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
May lose a few horsepower albeit the difference is probably negligible. Mufflers are typically added or removed based on sound or aesthetic preferences versus "performance".

Reactions: soul7

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Search this forum, PatG did evaluation showing stock GT muffler good till about 475RWHP.
Get a pair of QTP ovals with wireless remote, mount on inlets to stock mufflers and be done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input. I appreciate all of the suggestions mentioned.I’m gonna put the stock mufflers on for now. X- force doesn’t have a dedicated system for the G8 so they recommend getting 2 universal mufflers and controller. Anybody looking for a set of Pypes Violator axle backs with black tips, hit me up. They sound great!

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT
554 Posts
Reactions: rockinlespaul

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
... Anybody looking for a set of Pypes Violator axle backs with black tips, hit me up. They sound great!
Can try starting a thread in the parts for sale section of the forum.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
They sure do have one, have one on my car as we speak.
X-Force 3" Catback w/VAREX Valved Mufflers - G8Only.com - Stop Being Slow
I'd love to see back to back before and after dyno testing on this. I'm guessing it's about the worst ROI there is. 5-7 horsepower and a bunch of noise. And not just this particular brand. Any cat back system. The restrictions are in the manifolds and cats. These systems just make noise and annoy your neighbors and other drivers.

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT
554 Posts
OP was looking for quiet and louder options, just merely providing info with no regards to HP gain or loss, sounds like he just wants to enjoy driving his car daily not annoying anyone until he wants to.

Reactions: swargolet and soul7
1 - 14 of 14 Posts