Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I Just picked up at GT with 35k Miles on it, Its bone stock as of right now. I live about 3 Hours from the Bonneville salt flats and I plan to try and make this thing a 200MPH+ car and get my quarter below 12.4 (so i can take on my buddys 03 cobra). I've ordered a Superchips cortex and a VR-G8 Ram air intake, My goal is to make this car as beastly as I possibly can without adding a turbo or supercharger, the other thing that I want to avoid is adding anything to the car that will make it super loud and rumbly when I'm driving around in the city or just idling. So basically I'm looking for recommendations on other mods people have been happy with and what kind of performance gains I can expect from them. Exhaust, headers, cams etc.

·
Mack
1,000 Posts
SOLO Mach balanced.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
If you don't want it loud I would recommend cancelling that cortex order and getting a full header system to stock mufflers. You will net about 40 rwhp with a proper tune.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Also, the cortex tuner will limit your ability to continue modding your car past a cai and catback. If you want to continue modding into the low 12's or better, get a tune that can grow with your mods.
Good luck! It's a fun ride.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Long tube headers, no cats, cam, stock mufflers, better tune. This will idle quite nicely and only get loud around 3500 rpm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got any better recommendations for a tune than the cortex? I mainly ordered the cortex because the vararam tune and the speed limiter lifter. I'm looking for more specific recommendations as in links or specific brands and models of parts, I dont mind spending some serious cash, I just dont wanna build a cop magnet that My daughter wont be able to sleep in the back because of a loud exhaust.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Check out Livernois' or Vector's "mail order" tunes. They cost more, but you can upgrade them based on changes to your car. I know with Livernois, the tune changes are free, so it's a one time cost. Not sure about Vector (VMS).

If you leave the stock GT mufflers on the car, it will stay almost quiet as stock with long tube headers and aftermarket cats / catback.

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
Long tube headers, no cats, cam, stock mufflers, better tune. This will idle quite nicely and only get loud around 3500 rpm.
I wouldn't say it ever gets loud with stock mufflers. The engine noise under the hood gets loud from the headers and intake but not out the back.

Nice, okay I think I'll do some research on the livernois.
Also Pat G does the email tuning and don't forget about the option of dyno tuning. Sometimes I regret not going with a dyno tune from the get go.

·
Registered
216 Posts
You could always pick up a cortex used in the meantime. They retain their value really well, especially if bought used. Could always sell it when you run a custom tune.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I found it hard to believe that setups mentioned like these would be quiet as well. As I just installed-kooks 1-7/8" LTs (coated), kooks catted x-pipe, thru stock mufflers, as well as a Pat G tune. Honestly it is still very quiet, Maybe slightly more dramatic at idle than stock. Ive always been running a spectre intake btw.

·
Registered
376 Posts
if you want a sub 12.4 N/A car, you better stall it and maybe 3.27 or 3.45 gears..

CAI, big MAF, ported intake manifold, ported heads and headers.....

·
Registered
933 Posts
I plan to try and make this thing a 200MPH+ car
I don't think you'll be able to do that without doing some serious gear work, likely swapping out the trans and rear end... Some members here have hit 150-160 and that was it.

I could be wrong, I'm sure someone will chime in though with more accurate information.

But yes, don't even bother with the cortex if you plan to do serious mods.

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
I don't think you'll be able to do that without doing some serious gear work, likely swapping out the trans and rear end... Some members here have hit 150-160 and that was it.

I could be wrong, I'm sure someone will chime in though with more accurate information.

But yes, don't even bother with the cortex if you plan to do serious mods.
There is a video on youtube of a stock G8 (other than having the speed limiter turned off via a cortex) that hit 163. I saw someone post on facebook that they hit 175 with intake and tune only. Silentlegion CLAIMS he hit 205 with a livernois 1C cam and boltons.

·
two lane black top
1,549 Posts
those seem to be pretty tall claims considering jus removing the limiter, boltons OR a cam... thats me tho. wouldnt they need to be pushing 6-700 hp or so maybe up thatrear gear ratio sum?

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
those seem to be pretty tall claims considering jus removing the limiter, boltons OR a cam... thats me tho. wouldnt they need to be pushing 6-700 hp or so maybe up thatrear gear ratio sum?
Seems stock to me. I have no proof though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There is a video on youtube of a stock G8 (other than having the speed limiter turned off via a cortex) that hit 163. I saw someone post on facebook that they hit 175 with intake and tune only. Silentlegion CLAIMS he hit 205 with a livernois 1C cam and boltons.
There is no way that someone went 200 MPH with a cam and bolt ons. It would take at least 700 rwhp to hit 205 in these cars.

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts
There is no way that someone went 200 MPH with a cam and bolt ons. It would take at least 700 rwhp to hit 205 in these cars.
Are you sure? I hit 170 pretty quick, less than a mile.

·
IdontRe Member
631 Posts
I don't think Silver Bullet was saying he's seen a video of a stock G8 doing 200. He's referencing a video of one doing ~165.

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
Silentlegion CLAIMS he hit 205 with a livernois 1C cam and boltons.
I didn't think I could make it much more clear that the 205 was someone else's claim and not my own. Although there is a member here that claims to have hit 200 or over with 600-650ish at the wheels and I do believe him.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts