Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
two lane black top
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so i want to know if there is a quiet headers/ exhaust combination out there.

·
Addict
222 Posts
Magnaflow Axle backs are quiet. There is some drone.
with headers? my neighbors and the state trooper who ticketed me for my exhaust might disagree.

·
Registered
468 Posts
If you want sleeper quiet, keep the stock axlebacks...

If you want a little rumble see post #4...:D

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
with headers? my neighbors and the state trooper who ticketed me for my exhaust might disagree.
You got ticketed with the stock axle backs on, or the magnaflows? Your sig says stock axle backs.

Maybe you have an exhaust leak somewhere? I can tell you the stock GT axle backs are super quiet. I put on my GXP axle backs and it can get loud.

·
Addict
222 Posts
You got ticketed with the stock axle backs on, or the magnaflows? Your sig says stock axle backs.

Maybe you have an exhaust leak somewhere? I can tell you the stock GT axle backs are super quiet. I put on my GXP axle backs and it can get loud.
i was ticket with the magnaflows. went back to stock due to neighbors not liking my new mufflers since i leave the house at midnight, and the drone in cabin was a bit much on the day to day driving. the difference in sound is extraordinary.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
i was ticket with the magnaflows. went back to stock due to neighbors not liking my new mufflers since i leave the house at midnight, and the drone in cabin was a bit much on the day to day driving. the difference in sound is extraordinary.
I know how you feel. I get home around 1am so I am keeping my system quiet as well.
Although I do not have headers, I believe the consensus is that you only lose about 5hp with the stock GT mufflers as compared to a higher flow muffler. And if you have neighbors that are calling the fuzz and having them stake-out your house when you leave for work, then its worth keeping the noise in check.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Check with your city hall and see what the conditions are regarding decibel limits for noise pollution/disturbance.
Pray it doesn't state, "measured by the Peace Officer's ear"
Completely subjective and will screw you.
Ask me how I know and WHY I don't live in a certain city anymore (previous car)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
two lane black top
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
then should i even change the headers? will that affect sound? and man u cant be serious with the whole ticket thing.... lucky me i liev in austin tx and the dude around the bend from me has these loud a$$ pipes

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
then should i even change the headers? will that affect sound? and man u cant be serious with the whole ticket thing.... lucky me i liev in austin tx and the dude around the bend from me has these loud a$$ pipes
I have a similar neighbor who has an 1965 Restomod Mustang that is race car loud. He makes my car sound quiet, lol.

·
Addict
222 Posts
Check with your city hall and see what the conditions are regarding decibel limits for noise pollution/disturbance.
Pray it doesn't state, "measured by the Peace Officer's ear"
Completely subjective and will screw you.
Ask me how I know and WHY I don't live in a certain city anymore (previous car)

State of illinois doesn't have a decibel limit. any and all modification to the exhaust that results in an unusual sound are illegal. what is unusual is up to the officer who heard it.

"Every motor vehicle driven or operated upon the highways of this State shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler or exhaust system in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise. No such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device. No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and such original muffler shall comply with all the requirements of this Section."

·
Registered
933 Posts
No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise of such vehicle...
I think they wrote that for certain types of exhaust mods...:bubbrubb:

·
two lane black top
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LTs to Hooker Maxflows.

do u have a sound clip from ur set up brah? lol

i mean honestly love a loud set up but i dont feel it bieng right for me cuz. i originally wanted to get solo axlebacks but i want to keep scarlett breathing right but just not dont wanna get loud. maybe until i flip a switch to go open headers lol

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
It would be nice to have three choices all in one system but I may just settle on whisper quiet. I get tired of too much sound more than I get tired of stealth mode. Start up and WOT are generally the only times I want the rumbly grumbly.

·
two lane black top
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It would be nice to have three choices all in one system but I may just settle on whisper quiet. I get tired of too much sound more than I get tired of stealth mode. Start up and WOT are generally the only times I want the rumbly grumbly.
agreed

·
Registered
645 Posts
State of illinois doesn't have a decibel limit. any and all modification to the exhaust that results in an unusual sound are illegal. what is unusual is up to the officer who heard it.

"Every motor vehicle driven or operated upon the highways of this State shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler or exhaust system in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise. No such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device. No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and such original muffler shall comply with all the requirements of this Section."
One of the many reasons I will never live in Illinois...ever.

I second the LT's with stock mufflers...super quiet. Also, stock GXP axle backs will be pretty quiet, little louder than GT axle backs. Then the Hooker Max Flows, getting louder from there are Flowmasters, Spintechs, Kooks, and then ridiculous loud would be Solo axle backs after the header system.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.