Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure what to call this post......but I basically chopped a hole in the front bumper. I know I may well get crucified on here for this, or at least sternly criticized, but I want a GXP bumper eventually anyhow, so I'm not to scared of ruining this one, and I really wanted to see how it would look.
I've run Vararam's on my previous 2 GT's, but on this one, I decided to go with a Volant, partly on price - they are so damn cheap now......and partly on the fact that the Vararam filters get dirty so quick, and are kind of a pain in the ass to get out and back in. (And yes, I did swap a cone K&N into the Volant)
Once I took a good look at the snorkel setup and positioning on the Volant, I decided the car would look good with a carbon duct (particular one I've used before on a Nissan 350Z - search Ebay and you'll see they are made for that car), but I think the shape of it compliments the G8 as well.
Where I've placed it, it's shoving air directly into the Volant snorkel. I don't want to get into all my other mods so far, or what I have planned, as this is purely an aesthetic post concerning the cosmetics of the car and offering this to anyone else who might want to do the same.
I cut the hole with a dremel, and had to trim off just a little piece of the bumper reinforcement bar behind it - but that was also just soft plastic, no metal cutting.
The whole job set me back about $40, including the carbon duct.

PS- I know I'm missing my lug nut covers - I've been playing with a few different sets of rims and still trying to decide which way to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
896 Posts
Looks better than I thought it would when I first saw the title. I wonder how much of an improvement this is versus the trimming of the back of the lower grill by the fog light.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Actually looks pretty good.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Duct doesn't look half bad. There's another version of this mod that cuts off the back side of the driver's side lower grill to simulate the same effect.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Looks half decent I think. Taking air from the front like that will probably get the filter just as dirty as your old Vararam.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I may consider getting one and trying it on the lower grill next to the fog light.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks half decent I think. Taking air from the front like that will probably get the filter just as dirty as your old Vararam.
I considered that, however there is at least a 6" space between the duct and the Vararam intake port, where I'm hoping heavier objects like bugs will fall with gravity, and that was really my biggest gripe with the Vararam. Sometimes in late summer here in Texas the bugs are very thick.
Really I was just wanting to force as much air into that pocket as possible to keep temps lower.......if it were a track only race car, the duct would be much larger and directly hooked up to the intake box.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I considered that, however there is at least a 6" space between the duct and the Vararam intake port, where I'm hoping heavier objects like bugs will fall with gravity, and that was really my biggest gripe with the Vararam. Sometimes in late summer here in Texas the bugs are very thick.
Really I was just wanting to force as much air into that pocket as possible to keep temps lower.......if it were a track only race car, the duct would be much larger and directly hooked up to the intake box.
Cool. Time will tell. On all my previous cars, I have always used a stock airbox and ran pretty good times at the drag strip. I got a VCM for this car kind of on a whim. We'll see if frequent dirty filters bother me. Let us know how you think it's working in a few months.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts