Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I start my car in the morning I'm getting a random metal click/tapping sound.
Not the "normal" lifter tick sound. It's totally random. Sounds as if its coming from behind the power steering pump reservoir/Valve cover area on drivers side front of the engine only.

Any ideas?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
78 Posts
I wouldn't rule out an exhaust leak or like a header bolt backing out. You may want to check that if you haven't yet. Can't tell you how many times I thought a metallic engine sound was an exhaust/header leak. Once I had a spark plug get loose and back out enough to let compression get by and it sounded like a metallic tapping too.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn't rule out an exhaust leak or like a header bolt backing out. You may want to check that if you haven't yet. Can't tell you how many times I thought a metallic engine sound was an exhaust/header leak. Once I had a spark plug get loose and back out enough to let compression get by and it sounded like a metallic tapping too.
That makes sense, I'll check that out. Thanks bud.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
78 Posts
No worries. As an example a few weeks ago my wife's Pontiac Torrent develop a distinct metal tapping sound coming from the engine. I thought it was the engine for sure. It ended up being a metal EGR hose with a crack in it.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A crazy guy responded to my thread on the other board and his hypothesis sounds almost exactly what im experiencing.

"If it's a clacking noise that cuts in for half a dozen taps and then quits, then repeats, then disappears until the next cold start.....then that is more than likely the start of a lifter problem. It's sporadic because at this stage it's all about a problem lifter retaining or not retaining a cushion of oil internally.
If it's holding it's oil then there will be no noise, as it loses oil inside then there's no cushion and you're getting metal to metal tapping....until such time as it can hold it's cushion again.

==Broken stuff like valve springs and rocker arms wont normally give off anything but a constant noise in time with engine rpm. The noise won't cut in and out.
If your lifter keeps hammering and metal surfaces get damaged ie lifter roller & cam lobe, then the sporadic (hydraulic natured) noise you are hearing now will blend into a constant (mechanical damage natured) noise....in time with engine rpm with no respite."

Time for a cam swap seems to be in order, since I highly doubt warranty will cover my lifters with headers and new UDP.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
It's worth a shot. Most dealers will turn you down. Can't hurt to try right? Good luck

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is true. But Im out $100 if they "dont" find anything wrong. lol

I have the powertrain warranty AND my GMPP Major Guard.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
If this started after the rear main seal was replaced. Check the converter bolts. or a cracked flex plate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts