Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started about a week ago...was driving through town (30-40 mph)and felt the car drop cylinders and it sounds like something rattling either in the dash or the engine compartment. I have no clue what it is but you can feel the car vibrate differently when DOD is activated. Any ideas? I know whatever it is it's not right, and it really is getting on my nerves. Guess ill schedule a appointment for a look.

·
every village has one
2,322 Posts
How many miles on the car? Any mods?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
motor mounts?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
motor mounts?

Ill let the dealership know that could be the problem. It sounds more like a lifter tap but Im not sure. Whatever it is it'll be fixed hopefully..ill try to throw a video of it up whenever I get the time to drive it. Currently stl has about a foot of snow on the ground...thanks Mother Nature.

·
Registered
640 Posts
My first one I had the same and had them put the new motor mounts on and it reduced the issue. Didn't 100% solve it but helped for sure. Now I'm almost certain my current one has the same issue and will be in within a month or so for the same repair. Hopefully they don't dent the hood this time...

·
Registered
216 Posts
I personally dont feel/hear it when DOD goes on but a lot of guys do.

Some with aftermarket exhaust hear a rattle or drone even when its on. This reason + more power on tap is why you see guys turn DOD off or even remove it totally.

If your still under power train, which you should be if your under 100k mi, an appointment cant hurt.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everybody. I'll make an appointment today and keep you guys updated. I'm glad i didnt rush and put my aftermarket stuff on and then have a problem that could possibly mess with the warranty. Hopefully the motor mounts will solve the issue and theres not other hidden problem as well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just an update. I finally got an appointment that worked around work and the car dealerships schedule. i let them know about the rattle as well as a little tick i've been hearing for about three weeks now. The mechanic said hes changed dozens of lifters, motor mounts, and front end bushings on these g8's, so hopefully everything will work itself out.

If all goes good, i should be looking at having the LT's, exhaust, cold air, and tune done by the end of next week. Just in time for Spring :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts