Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone. About 2 weeks ago, my 2009 Pontiac G8 started making kind of a rattling noise from the front driver side suspension. The noise is almost exactly like seen in this video.

I took the car to my mechanic. After inspecting it, he said he could not pin
point the problem because all the suspension components were tight. He said that the only thing he could think of is the strut. But he was not sure.

So yesterday I took the car to a GM dealership and got the inspection done.
They gave me a different verdict. The technition took a ride with me to listen to the noise. After the inspection, they said that its the control arms, the struts are fine. They said even though they are nice and tight, they still sometimes can start making noises. They suggested to change all four control arms and quoted me $ 900 CAN for the job. They also mentioned its a common problem with G8's. For information, I had both the strut mounts replaced about 2 weeks ago. So that couldn't be the cause of the problem.

Anyone has any idea if replacing all 4 control arms is going to fix the problem? I have been doing some research on the forums and it does look like a lot of people had the same kind of problem and the main cause is in fact the control arms. I have also read somewhere, that GM dealership guess proved to be
wrong also. Its a big job and I don't want to waste $900 if it turns out to be something else.

I will appreciate any input, suggestions.

Thanks in advance everyone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also have this problem. My lca's were replaced last month and the problem is still there. Now I took it to a different dealership and they said the sway bar links are bad. I pick the car back up tommorow and will let you know if that fixed the problem.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks o8pontiacg8 for the reply. I'd be keen to know about the results. Can you please clarify what you mean by "Ica's" ?

·
Registered
276 Posts
If you're gonna spend $900, I would just go ahead and try the Pedders LCA's. They are around $1,100 I think, but that's for only 2 of the arms. I prob wouldn't get factory arms again if I had to. I'm getting a similar clunk, but only over certain portions of the road that I smack pretty good. Does it sound like something is hitting up top near the strut? Mine sounds like that, but I have been told it's probably noise being transferred from the arms up and through. Keep us updated on what you do. I wish someone with the pedders LCA's would chime in and let us know their experience.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you ScooB for the info. For me, its hard to to determine if the sound seems to be coming from the top near the strut or not. Its actually a rattle not a clunk. Its seems as if something is loose. And just like you, I only hear it when hitting hard on portions of the road.

Can anyone tell me if they got their lca's replaced by GM, what did they tell. Did they say they were really bad and loose? I just want to know if what they told me about the struts being tight but still making noise can actually be true or not. I seriously have a doubt here.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
How many miles on the car?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thank you ScooB for the info. For me, its hard to to determine if the sound seems to be coming from the top near the strut or not. Its actually a rattle not a clunk. Its seems as if something is loose. And just like you, I only hear it when hitting hard on portions of the road.

Can anyone tell me if they got their lca's replaced by GM, what did they tell. Did they say they were really bad and loose? I just want to know if what they told me about the struts being tight but still making noise can actually be true or not. I seriously have a doubt here.
Well if it's worth anything, about a week ago I had my mechanic (he has done all my work for me and works on plenty of G8's) told me that the ball joints in the arms themselves tend to go bad. So from my understanding, the arm can still be tight, but if the ball joint is bad it can make noise. He completely reinstalled my struts/springs/strut bushings and bearings and marked every bolt once tightened. He even did the timing and fully tightened once the car was loaded on the ground and still couldn't find an issue. I've also spoke with Kyle from BMR who referred me to check the ball joints in the front lower control arms as well. If the ball joints are bad, the whole arm has to be replaced because the joints aren't serviceable. And for what it's worth, I have the bushings in my LCA's replaced with poly ones, and I'm still getting the noise. So from everything I know and have heard, it's gotta be the ball joints.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Oh and one more thing, Kyle also mentioned to check the ball joints on the radius arms as well. He can be contacted on here or emailed directly.

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
$900??????

The entire arm kit (2 lca's and 2 rr's, and bolts), can be purchased at Pace Performance for less than $250. Add an hour of labor at $90-$100, and you can be OTD for around $350.

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
FWIW, I've never had a strut/shock make a popping noise when bad, maybe squeaky....they just wear out and the car starts to move around more than normal.

Do you get a rattle when turning? If so, it's a bad strut bearing IMO.

Also, I had a loose brake caliper which would rattle when I ran over control joints, or the lip going into a garage. Was promptly fixed under warranty at 8k.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you karlhungus, ScooB and SRG963 for the info. Answering to karlhungus question, I have around 40,000 miles, almost 65000 Km on my car. So based on all the discussion, the Lca's can actually make noises even if they are tight. And the main suspects are the ball joints of the arms. SRG963, Its $900 because its a quote from a GM Stealership. Thanks for the info about pace performance selling them for less than $250. I was actually looking into ordering them from "gmpartsdirect" in the US. Currently they have the arm kit for $ 192.76. Has anyone ordered from them? How's the experience? And about the noise, I dont get any rattle while turning. Its just while going straight. Could it be the sway bar links? I think I am keen to know the results for 08pontiacg8's car.

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
To add, with the 2014 SS due to hit the streets soon, there may be another revised OEM arm kit to hit the market. Greg at Pace Performance would be the first to know. Not sure if waiting would yield a better replacement part or not. The kit I used is 2 years old, and with over 30k of driving with spirit, no issues.

Swaybar links shouldn't make nose IMO, more likely it's your ball joints.

Moog replacement links can be purchased for around $30 each side from Amazon, and bolt in easily with no alignment needed.

Speaking of Moog, they are also supposed to have a replacement arm kit for us.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks SRG963 for all the information.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
You can do a basic "self test" for the LCAs. Jack the wheel off the ground. Grab the tire at 9 and 3, twist it in and out to see if there's movement. If there is, the ball joint is cooked. I've had my LCAs replaced at 55k kilometers, strut mounts shortly there after. I wouldn't rule out a blown strut however, rattling over bumps in a straight line can be a symptom of a severely worn strut/shock.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Karlhungus for the info. Before getting my car inspected by GM, i went to my mechanic. He hoisted the car up and checked all the mounts as well as any movements in the wheels. He said there is nothing loose. Although, while changing the strut mounts, he did mention that the struts were behaving a little unusual and were not coming back to their original position after releasing the machine. But GM said both struts are fine. Honestly, I am confused as to who to believe. I was still convinced that GM would give me the correct diagnostic, but after all this research, I am getting doubtful.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you everyone for all the in puts. I have been reading about a TSB been issued for the front suspension of G8. I honestly have no idea how the TSB thing works. Was it issued back in 2009 ? Do I some how qualify for that ? Can someone please provide any information regarding this?

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have the exact same clunks & rattles occurring as in the video. I had my LCAs replaced just 9 months ago, and a visual inspection & tire movement check yielded no problems with those.

Anyone ever figure out what this was & how it was resolved?

·
Move over >
1,445 Posts
Strut mount bearing

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.