Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a rattling noise when I make a long right turn. It seems to be coming from the left front and I am getting a shake it my steering wheel. The rattle only happens when I slightly press down on the brakes during the turn. I do have slightly warped rotors which need replaced. But the noise will continue after I release the brake. (almost as the braking with the warped rotor starts an oscillation that makes the noise)

I am also getting some clunking when going over a continually bumpy road.

I had the car up on a lift yesterday and all suspension joints seem to be tight with little to no play in them. There seems to be some play in the steering. All the tie rods are tight but there is some play coming from the steering rack itself.

Any thoughts on what it might be? My dad's friend thinks it is the steering rack. (he isn't a licensed mechanic but has been doing work on cars for 40 years and he knows his #%@!)

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I am getting a rattling noise when I make a long right turn. It seems to be coming from the left front and I am getting a shake it my steering wheel. The rattle only happens when I slightly press down on the brakes during the turn. I do have slightly warped rotors which need replaced. But the noise will continue after I release the brake. (almost as the braking with the warped rotor starts an oscillation that makes the noise)

I am also getting some clunking when going over a continually bumpy road.

I had the car up on a lift yesterday and all suspension joints seem to be tight with little to no play in them. There seems to be some play in the steering. All the tie rods are tight but there is some play coming from the steering rack itself.

Any thoughts on what it might be? My dad's friend thinks it is the steering rack. (he isn't a licensed mechanic but has been doing work on cars for 40 years and he knows his #%@!)
Sorry to hear about the rattling noise you're experiencing. If you feel the need to enlist the assistance of a certified GM dealership, feel free to let me know and we can schedule an appointment for an inspection.

Kindest regards,

William R.
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Have you tried re tightening the rack? I had a similar noise (albeit at low speeds) and the left side of the rack was loose (thanks stealership). Any leaks anywhere?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do not have any leaks anywhere from what I saw and my fluid looks full. I am unsure what you mean by tightening the rack. Are you talking about the mounts?

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
the steering wheel shake is a symptom of LCA failure, and the noise in turns sounds related to that or sway bar links (not likely, as they will make noise at other times first), steering linkage or ball joints (lower lca). Do a search...I remember a thread long ago about how to diagnose LCA failure on a rack (with a Youtube video). It should help you.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did see a video about lower control arms at some point. It talked about how there should be play in the wheel side to side but not up and down. In the video the wheel was moving a good 1 inch side to side. I have almost no play in either driver side or passenger side wheels.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any other opinions on this? I will try to get a video of the noise after work today and maybe that might help.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Even though its not any play its most likley your LCA's I had the same situation happen on mine (sweeping right turns and really bad shaking) It took all 4 of my tires. I replaced my LCA's and brought a lifetime alignment warranty. Since then I haven't had the issue. You can find LCA's for a decent price on EBAY with a warranty

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
http://youtu.be/GhjFZcAal-k" title="View this video at YouTube in a new window or tab" target="_blank">YouTube Video
http://youtu.be/GhjFZcAal-k"> http://youtu.be/GhjFZcAal-k" /> ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Here is a video of the noise it isn't the best but I think it should get the point across... Ignore the squeak at the end... That is my seat

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Sounds like a ball joint to me. If it only happens under load, I'd say LCA.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I replaced all 4 control arms... Surprisingly enough the lowers were tight. The upper control arm on the drivers side was warn out and I could move the ball joint a considerably large amount. Part numbers on the lowers were the same as the replacements but the uppers were a different number. I am assuming that the lowers had been replaced but the uppers had not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts