Pontiac G8 Forum banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
The more I hear about the future of cars, the more I am tempted to buy another G8GT in its final year. Baby it and save it and only really drive it when the first G8 is ready for retirement.

I remember the 70s-80s...not going to easily accept dog slow cars for another 20 years

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
There will always be large RWD cars available to buy, you may not be able to afford them, but they will be available! BMW, M-B, Rolls, Bentley to name a few will continue to make them. They don't give a rats ass about CAFE regs, they just add the GGT onto the price of the car and their customers pay it without a blink of the eye! Its just the manufacturers that build cars for the masses, you know those of us that work for our $$, that are troubled over the CAFE regs! The large domestically produced RWD cars are on their last legs here in the USA. Your elected officials are to blame with their lack of original thinking, they have determined that we can save the world by driving small, slow, dull cars, kinda like they did in the USSR, and we know how well that whole plan worked out!:wink2:

·
Registered
705 Posts
There will always be large RWD cars available to buy, you may not be able to afford them, but they will be available! BMW, M-B, Rolls, Bentley to name a few will continue to make them. They don't give a rats ass about CAFE regs, they just add the GGT onto the price of the car and their customers pay it without a blink of the eye! Its just the manufacturers that build cars for the masses, you know those of us that work for our $$, that are troubled over the CAFE regs! The large domestically produced RWD cars are on their last legs here in the USA. Your elected officials are to blame with their lack of original thinking, they have determined that we can save the world by driving small, slow, dull cars, kinda like they did in the USSR, and we know how well that whole plan worked out!:wink2:
If you can't afford them, what's the frickkin use? Paying 6 figures to get the same performance as the G8 offers is no deal. Hmm....$1500 G8 rebate plus $2500 loyaty cash plus $3000 GM card..........gotta clean out the garage.:driving:

·
high desert road runner
235 Posts
One can only hope. Maybe there might be a Buick Wildcat down the line. Actually, as long as the keep the content similar to the three varieties of G8 that Pontiac has, they might find a market for an even higher contented version.
It makes sense for the car to show up in Buick's lineup since most Buick dealers are dualed with Pontiac now, so the sales & service points are already in place. Well, as much as the current dealers know about the G8 anyway.

·
Registered
526 Posts
The Buick transition wouldn't be hard. The G8 is already the Buick Park Avenue in China and built as a left hand drive model. Obviously crash test standards blah blah blah blah and the fact that the top engine in China is the 3.6L and the base is the ye old 2.8L will never work in the US of A. That and they couldn't call it a Park Avenue.

However, bring it back as a Regal, Grand National (with the GXP as the GNX) or Roadmaster or in a twist of near irony, just the old GS designation that was given to A Body cars in 1967, calling the GXP version the GSX.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The Buick transition wouldn't be hard. The G8 is already the Buick Park Avenue in China and built as a left hand drive model. Obviously crash test standards blah blah blah blah and the fact that the top engine in China is the 3.6L and the base is the ye old 2.8L will never work in the US of A. That and they couldn't call it a Park Avenue.

However, bring it back as a Regal, Grand National (with the GXP as the GNX) or Roadmaster or in a twist of near irony, just the old GS designation that was given to A Body cars in 1967, calling the GXP version the GSX.
Why in the world would they want to call it the Regal or Roadmaster? I'm glad the G8 isn't the same turd on wheels GM turned out for years with archaic technology. GM should ditch Buick and stop whoring the same old names in an attempt capture greater market share with garbage. Nothing screams old fart like Buick.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Why in the world would they want to call it the Regal or Roadmaster? I'm glad the G8 isn't the same turd on wheels GM turned out for years with archaic technology. GM should ditch Buick and stop whoring the same old names in an attempt capture greater market share with garbage. Nothing screams old fart like Buick.
Pop quiz. Where is the number one car economy in the world?

Answer. China, which is not outselling both the United States and Japan, who hold the 2nd and 3rd spots respectively. There is no reason to believe that the United States will ever return to the number one sot.

Pop quiz. What is the number one import brand in China?

Answer. General Motors. In 2008 General Motors sold almost 900,000 vehicles in China, making it the number one import brand in China.

Pop quiz: What is the number one import name plate in China?

Answer. Buick - 35% marketshare for imports. It is number one by a land slide. Chinese customers get six Buicks to choose from (soon to be seven). They are a massive status symbol.

GM getting rid of Buick would be suicide. SOMEONE in China would buy the brand at ten cents on the dollar so fast it would make your head spin, and GM sales in China would collapse, one of the only bright spots GM has had in the last decade.

This is why Pontiac is dead, and Buick is a "core" brand. Shoot I've debadged my G8 because I was so tired of hearing, "oh, it's a Pontiac," in that tone of voice (you know the one) whenever anyone asked me what it was. Now I get to sit back and hear the guesses, far more amusing.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Right on. Buicks are the future. So we just have to get the Chinese hooked on performance.

For a new Grand National, all they have to do is a nose and badge job. The rest of the car ca go unchanged. It woud be great for Buick's image to have a performance car again.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Right on. Buicks are the future. So we just have to get the Chinese hooked on performance.

For a new Grand National, all they have to do is a nose and badge job. The rest of the car ca go unchanged. It woud be great for Buick's image to have a performance car again.
It is also misguided to think that Buick cannot reinvent its own demographic. Look at the success of Cadillac, the CTS and Escalade are sure not considered the cars of the blue hair set, but there was very little Cadillac made as recently as a decade ago that would have been of much interest to anyone under 60.

I think the Enclave is a great example of Buick's reinvention - has a long way to go, a G8 with a slightly upleveled interior (which would shut up a lot of the bitching and wouldn't be expensive to do) with the Chinese nose (very German looking) off the Park Avenue and you've got a done done done deal. Call it a Grand National, Regal Grand National, or just GS to tap into the history of some previous great Buicks.

I know that there is a loud wail to keep the G8, even Consumer Reports chimed in on May 26, 2009 saying they should keep the G8 and ditch the W-Body Impala.

·
Banned
7,067 Posts
You can always buy a Camaro if you want a fast car, and it's faster than the GT for about the same money. LS3 baby.....

·
Registered
491 Posts
You can always buy a Camaro if you want a fast car, and it's faster than the GT for about the same money.
I've never understood why anyone would want only two doors on a car large enough for four. The doors on a large two-door are too small to easily access the back seat and too large to open in crowded parking lots. What's the big attraction?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Look at all the collector's going after old muscle cars that are 2-door only. Noboby wants a tri-5 chevy with 4 doors... There's a stigma about four doors... too family-ish, perception of slow.

That's why the G8 is so cool... total perception changer... same with Charger SRT-8. Everybody hated that Dodge put a Charger name on it cuz it was a 4-door, but gimme an SRT-8 version anyday, red or b5 blue please.:driving:

·
Banned
7,067 Posts
The Camaro turns heads, and it has the power to back up the look. Sure it's only got 2 doors, but nobody would buy a 4 door Camaro.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've never understood why anyone would want only two doors on a car large enough for four. The doors on a large two-door are too small to easily access the back seat and too large to open in crowded parking lots. What's the big attraction?
It is pretty. What more reason do you want? Oh yeah, and it does have some serious cojones, even the V6 version!

Fuh

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The V6 has no torque. The new GM V6 feels nothing like a GM vehicle, it requires being revved to hell and back to make any power like the imports. So if it has the same (lacking) power delivery as an import, but worse dimensions, quality, resale, interior, design, amenities, value, and so on and so forth... why would you buy it? It's really not even pretty, the Challenger is MUCH prettier.

I have to agree with Pa, 2 doors are simply less practical. Now I will say that on cars like say the GTI where you can get the same car with 2 doors or 4 doors (and I mean the same car, they're identical except they changed the lengths of the front doors to make room for rear doors, the wheelbase and such are all the same) I would prefer the 2 door simply because I don't use the rear doors very often (not having a family), and I'd rather have slightly larger doors for myself.

·
Can I get a track day?
191 Posts
:hail: Back from the dead

81 - 99 of 99 Posts
About this Discussion
98 Replies
51 Participants
Sean O
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing