Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at the inlaws for Christmas and I got a Bluetooth obd2 reader. The car freaked out when I plugged it in and dic displayed see dealer. I managed to read and erase codes with it, but I still have a check engine light.

If I was home I would just check it with my $20 actron scanner.

I searched and couldn't find how to read the cel on the dic. I know you can because I have read on the board before that you can. Would someone please learn me!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Finally found it. Hold drivers menu button (one with road) while turning key to on position. But mine says no codes and as soon as you start the car the cel comes on. Sigh, guess I'll be driving home with a cel :(

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Never having a check engine light(mil) displayed, I can't help you there. In fact, I didn't know it was possible to actually see any codes when in engineering mode. But if the code you had seen displayed was of the type I'm guessing, it would take 3 or 4 engine start/run cycles to clear itself, an only if the problem that created it, is no longer being sensed. It of course would cancel right away if a code reader/scanner has that ability. Maybe that device you have can not due that. That device (you talk about), is a little over my head.

If in engineering mode, my take on it is, if you hit the DIC display rocker switch ( the one you talk about), it reverts to DIC info an cancels the engineering mode readouts. If you were in the engineering mode with key on only (static looking), after key is turned to off an then back on, it will have automatically defaulted back to normal DIC display.

·
Registered
207 Posts
If in engineering mode, my take on it is, if you hit the DIC display rocker switch ( the one you talk about), it reverts to DIC info an cancels the engineering mode readouts. If you were in the engineering mode with key on only (static looking), after key is turned to off an then back on, it will have automatically defaulted back to normal DIC display.

Not exactly, to see CEL codes you press the road button while turning on the car, not the scroll wheel.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
If you got onstar you could call them to see if they can read what code it is. You could always stop at a autoparts store, most will read the codes for you.

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
colby1035--- How bout that, I hit the *road * button an you are correct. It displayed *service reset + no items* Pressing the scroll wheel, or turning off ignition then turning back on again, reverts back to normal DIC display. Nice little item there. Hope I never have to go into that mode, other than to see that its still functional.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol Onstar. I can do anything they can for free.

The CEL was gone the next day when I drove home.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can unlock your doors remotely without the key fob?

Do tell!
If you are referring to the need to unlock the doors because I can't find the key or I locked them in the car, my $25 hide a key saves me hundreds in Onstar fees a year.

·
Premium Member
1,850 Posts
If you are referring to the need to unlock the doors because I can't find the key or I locked them in the car, my $25 hide a key saves me hundreds in Onstar fees a year.
Exactly where did you stash the hide a key? And could you please PM me the address where your car will be parked? Thanks in advance. :gr_jest:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
.........ya, because I've heard lots of stories of people getting there car stolen because of a hide a key.

·
1,481 Posts
The 'codes from the DIC' theory ;) is a very common misconception...guess I'll hop in w/some clarification (only to read the same thread about DIC 'codes' in a week lol)...

The 'codes' displayed in the DIC are NOT P-codes (P-Codes are the fault codes that set in the the Engine controller associated w/CELs)...

The 'codes' displayed in the DIC are a completely separate thing, not even sure what they are for (maybe to confuse ppl lol) but from memory they are either BCM or Cluster codes - not in ANY way related to CELs!!

So please stop trying to find out why your CEL is on by playing around w/your DICs ;)

So there - spread some truth, kill the DIC code rumors ! :)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Exactly where did you stash the hide a key? And could you please PM me the address where your car will be parked? Thanks in advance. :gr_jest:
I always keep a spare key in the bottom of the fuel tank. When I need it, I just simply remove the fuel tank then pull out the fuel pump and reach a long magnet down into the bottom of the tank to retrieve the key, it works great :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey guess what I'll be doing with the extra few hundred dollars this year I saved by not having a Onstar subscription.

Whatever I want, because I'm not an ignorant dumb ass.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
7 Participants
ovrebo1
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing