Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Missing G8s
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm thinking of running switchbacks to compliment my 5000K HIDs but I'm a little confused on the resistor/voltage situation. I know experiences with different bulbs, HIDs, ballasts etc vary from user to user and even those that use the same gear have different outcomes so I thought I would ask. Here's my current setup:

HIDs: Morimoto/Retrofit Source 5000K HIDs, 35 watt ballasts wired directly to main harness (no relay harness used)
Rear turn signals: 10 watt units running through VLEDs 6Ohm 50 watt resistors (one per rear turn signal)
Rear brake lights (if relevant): unsure on wattage, LED units though
Rear reverse lights (if relevant): 24 watt units

I am wanting to try these from VLEDs. I'm curious if anyone thinks I will have voltage issues by just installing them with my current pair of 6Ohm 50 watt resistors in place on the rear turn signals.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
These are the ones you want.

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/BAY14d-2357-7528-Switchback-LED-Bulbs-p/led_1157_sku_3e.htm

These are the ones I have in my car, they look awesome, match my HID's and don't cost near that much! They also give a place in the ordering to get the resisters so you don't get that hyper flash. The only place you need to use resisters is for the turn signals again to stop the hyper flashing. Tail light/brake light and back up bulbs do not require them. Every light on my cars exterior has been changed to LED's except the headlights, those are 6k HID's.

Those guys I linked to have the best LED's I've found and am running all their bulbs in my car. Well except the rear turn signals those I had to find brighter due to my smoked Spyder LED tails needing more light for the turn signals. Lemme know if you would need stupid bright rear turn signals and I'll give you that link also.

Hope this helps you. :)

·
Missing G8s
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply, I will check them out!

My question is that since I already have resistors on my rear turn signals, do I need additional resistors on the front switchbacks as well, and, if so, which ones to support the correct voltage/wattage with running my current turn signals and HIDs?

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Yes you will need resisters for the front too. HID headlights do not matter for needing resisters, only the turnsignals to stop them from hyperflashing. The place I linked carries the resisters for like $5 a pair and it'll show you which ones you need on the lamps page. If you MUST MUST MUST have the ones you linked to the resisters in the link I gave will work just fine.

·
Capital City G8
1,555 Posts
Using the same switchbacks as Jackalope. They work great and are bright as hell. When the marker lights are in the white mode, they light up my side walk really well.Well worth the price. As far as my thoughts on the resistors. The LEDs are so efficient and have so little draw, you need a resistor for each bulb so that you don't hyperflash.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
FWIW, Switchbacks come in two styles, AO and AW. When the turn signal is flashing, AO flashes Amber and off. AW flashes Amber and white.

·
Missing G8s
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Using the same switchbacks as Jackalope. They work great and are bright as hell. When the marker lights are in the white mode, they light up my side walk really well.Well worth the price. As far as my thoughts on the resistors. The LEDs are so efficient and have so little draw, you need a resistor for each bulb so that you don't hyperflash.
Great, thank you for your input. I see you have 8000K HIDs (VERY blue). Mine are 5000K. Would you say the ones you bought from IJDM are white (to match my 5000K,) or more blue like your HIDs?

I figured I would have to use resistors for the switchbacks. I just don't know what additional resistors I would need to make everything run smoothly seeing as I already have 6Ohm 50 Watt resistors on each of my two LED 10 watt rear turn signals. What type of additional resistors would I need to run to make sure the switchbacks operate correctly?

I would be interested in "AO" style. VLEDs also calls this "Type 2". Seems a bit more low-key than amber-white-amber-white

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
AO / AW - all personal preference. In my case, I rerouted the drl to the parking lights. Having it flash Amber white is different.

The way I figured it, you want to be different to get attention that you are turning. But in the grand scheme, likely does not matter.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
They don't flash amber white amber white amber white. When they are just the marker lights they light up white but then when you turn on the turn signal they flash amber, when the turn signal goes off they go back to being white again. And yes they are 5k white LED's, as I said above I run 6k HID's and these things are whiter then my headlights but just by a little. I think you mis-read the 6k as 8k, yeah no Smurf headlights for me! LOL!

But again if you don't like those if you look on their page it lists the resisters for not only them but ANY LED turn signal bulbs you may want to get.

·
Missing G8s
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They don't flash amber white amber white amber white. When they are just the marker lights they light up white but then when you turn on the turn signal they flash amber, when the turn signal goes off they go back to being white again. And yes they are 5k white LED's, as I said above I run 6k HID's and these things are whiter then my headlights but just by a little. I think you mis-read the 6k as 8k, yeah no Smurf headlights for me! LOL!

But again if you don't like those if you look on their page it lists the resisters for not only them but ANY LED turn signal bulbs you may want to get.
OK, thanks again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts