Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So....im 23 years old, bought my G8 GT, still live at home as im in my last year of college. My mom has a 2011 camaro ss that sits in a storage unit. I want to straight up swap the wheels, but I know mine wont clear the brembos, so it looks like ill have to swap break set ups as well, bummer. My question is

1) does anyone know if the brakes and wheels off my GT (19" sport wheels), will bolt straight up to the camaro..im assuming so since it works the other way around.

2) Ive searched and searched and no luck finding anything about a 5th gen camaro with g8 wheels, go figure lol..has anyone seen this set up? I'm curious as to how it looks. Honestly, i think i could throw 18" GT wheels on there and she wouldnt know the difference lol

and heres some visual aids since that never hurts :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mom doesnt know..mom more or less drives the car 2k miles a year because she likes the way it looks. like i said, it sits in storage...she really wouldnt care though.. to mom, 5 spokes is 5 spokes and brembo is a town in africa

...she could care less either way

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
G8 19" wheels should work on the Camaro with some spacers..

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
G8 19" wheels should work on the Camaro with some spacers..
Thank you sir, thats what i was wondering...If i get some time and swap some things around ill be sure to post up some pics of the camaro with G8 wheels..im interested in how itll look.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"Mom: Son,why does my car not look right?"

"Son: I dont know mom, must be your new glasses."

seriously though, i could throw 16" civic wheels on there and get away with it. I would never "steal" them from her though, she really wouldn't care.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Or you could just buy a set of camaro wheels and sell your 19" GT wheels and probably pocket a few bucks.

·
Registered
493 Posts
In my opinion the brake swap isn't worth it. You can get the brembos on your car, not the easiest to do, but not too hard either. However putting your stock calipers on her car is just wrong in many ways. For one the G8 caliper bolts are 12mm bolts. Hers are 14mm. So your caliper on her car wont fit tight because the knuckle on the camero is drilled to 14mm and your gonna have a 12mm bolt through it slopping around.

·
HeapBlaster
442 Posts
I've got some GXP wheels that i'll be selling soon if you just want something different :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Or you could just buy a set of camaro wheels and sell your 19" GT wheels and probably pocket a few bucks.
I kicked that idea around too..I put mine up on my local craigslist for $800 for wheels and tires last night so we'll see what happens. I dont think i'll be able to pocket any money, but it'd give me some cash to put towards a new set up. Probably the easiest way to go about it.

In my opinion the brake swap isn't worth it. You can get the brembos on your car, not the easiest to do, but not too hard either. However putting your stock calipers on her car is just wrong in many ways. For one the G8 caliper bolts are 12mm bolts. Hers are 14mm. So your caliper on her car wont fit tight because the knuckle on the camero is drilled to 14mm and your gonna have a 12mm bolt through it slopping around.
Thanks a lot for the input. Just because of that I think i'll steer clear of that whole swap and either powdercoat my 19's or sell them and pick up a new set. Thanks again.

I've got some GXP wheels that i'll be selling soon if you just want something different :)
Thanks for the offer, ill keep an eye on the for sale section.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I thought your OP said that you searched and searched but couldn't find an instance where someone put Camaro rims on a G8.

I almost raged...:damnyou:

·
Registered
33 Posts
OMG! haha OP FTW stealing mom's rims. Instead of stealing moms rims take a look in the for sale section, we have some awesome members that give some awesome deals to a fellow G8 owner. ie; I just picked up some brand new Asanti rims and almost brand new tires for 1300. The rims by themselves were 4500 and well tires aren't cheap either, and the excuse im 23 doesn't count either because im 23 also :D So pick up a extra hours at the car wash and get yourself some nice rims and tires that doesn't involve pick pocketing mom! haha

·
Registered
493 Posts
OMG! haha OP FTW stealing mom's rims. Instead of stealing moms rims take a look in the for sale section, we have some awesome members that give some awesome deals to a fellow G8 owner. ie; I just picked up some brand new Asanti rims and almost brand new tires for 1300. The rims by themselves were 4500 and well tires aren't cheap either, and the excuse im 23 doesn't count either because im 23 also :D So pick up a extra hours at the car wash and get yourself some nice rims and tires that doesn't involve pick pocketing mom! haha
HAHA I too laughed when I saw this, sounds like something I woulda done about 10 years ago

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haha yeah I mean I have the money to buy new wheels, but the camaro doesn't see the light of day. But it seems like more of a headache then anything now so ill keep my eyes open for new wheels, or maybe just powder coat the stockers

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Aren't the camaro rims heavier? And the GT 19"s are heavy to begin with...I don't get "rim guys" - I mean damn spending a couple grand on heavy ass rims that actually SLOW you're car down makes no sense to me. If I could do it all over again I would have SOLD my brand new 19" sport setup when new or traded for someone's 18"s plus cash, used the OEM 18"s in winter and used something like the light TSW nogaros I have w/ a polished lip as my summer-only setup.

The car rides better on 18"S and the ones I have are considerably lighter than the 19"s and probably 10 lbs lighter than the camaro rims.

To each their own I suppose.

Not to mention - nobody has brought up that the OP not only wants to "under-tire" his mom's performance car but also "under-brake" it - doesn't the SS have like 430HP and 275mm tires all around? You wanna give her 245's and some weaker 2 piston calipers? Is that safe? Shame on you man, you wanna take her airbags out too while you're at it lol!!:wink2:

·
Sarcasm Personified
3,900 Posts
Aren't the camaro rims heavier? And the GT 19"s are heavy to begin with...I don't get "rim guys" - I mean damn spending a couple grand on heavy ass rims that actually SLOW you're car down makes no sense to me. If I could do it all over again I would have SOLD my brand new 19" sport setup when new or traded for someone's 18"s plus cash, used the OEM 18"s in winter and used something like the light TSW nogaros I have w/ a polished lip as my summer-only setup.

The car rides better on 18"S and the ones I have are considerably lighter than the 19"s and probably 10 lbs lighter than the camaro rims.

Not to mention - nobody has brought up that the OP not only wants to "under-tire" his mom's performance car but also "under-brake" it - doesn't the SS have like 430HP and 275mm tires all around? You wanna give her 245's and some weaker 2 piston calipers? Is that safe? Shame on you man, you wanna take her airbags out too while you're at it lol!!:wink2:
I think you've been drinking again lol. You are always so negative :slap:. I think you bring a "subtle" charm to this board. Also everyone knows a Camaro isn't a performance car...you can only drive it in straight lines because of lack of visibility and even then they aren't too impressive.

OP I'm joining part of boston's post here, don't get the camaro rims. They are ugly, overweight, and way overplayed on the G8. Get something unique and lightweight.

Although OP I like the thoughts of swiping parts off her car, maybe you can go for an engine swap as well? Does she have the L99 or LS3?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I understand that, I just think they look real good..and as i stated..theyre just aimlessly sitting there. I'm not going to do it, i was more or less bored and curious. But to answer your question about it being "under tired and under braked", definitely not. My g8 with a CAI, solo axleback, and VMS dyno tune beats the camaro in a 50 roll, and if you ask me, although theyre not nearly the best, the brakes and tires are fine on my car.

I think you've been drinking again lol. You are always so negative :slap:. I think you bring a "subtle" charm to this board. Also everyone knows a Camaro isn't a performance car...you can only drive it in straight lines because of lack of visibility and even then they aren't too impressive.

OP I'm joining part of boston's post here, don't get the camaro rims. They are ugly, overweight, and way overplayed on the G8. Get something unique and lightweight.

Although OP I like the thoughts of swiping parts off her car, maybe you can go for an engine swap as well? Does she have the L99 or LS3?

lol yeah they probably are overplayed, just like rockstars on a truck, but there isnt a single one around my area with this look. I'll end up going a different route now. But its an L99, she got it in an auto...It's an ok car minus the fact that you cant see anything and its slower then my G8 with a CAI, tune, and axleback. I'd rather have my g8 for much less money.

·
IdontRe Member
631 Posts
Leave mom, and her car, alone. She'll kick your ass out of the house!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts