Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This fits here as well as it does anywhere, I guess.

This isn't a question about the V6/GT bumper vs. the GXP bumper with diffuser.

I have searched this, and it seems the question comes up from time to time, but I received a different answer. I wanted to put a bike rack, specifically the Saris Bones 3-bike, on my G8 GT. I realize a lot of companies, in various industries, didn't extensively test the G8 for fitment considering it was out for 2 years before the brand went away.

What I'm being told is the V6 model will work but the GT will not (mine is an '08, so the GXP was not involved in the conversation.) The rep from Saris was very helpful, but he said he lists the V6 as working and the GT as not and his best guess was that something under the bumper changed, possibly in how it's supported or attached to the rest of the vehicle.

Now I've read somewhere that a few people have used the Saris Bones and they didn't mention any issues. Can anyone verify this? Or verify that the bumpers do attach differently?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I'll leave this here but I'll more than likely end up with the GM Roof Rack. I had seen it mentioned everywhere, but I was under the impression it was going to be much more expensive than it is.

The roof rack will give a lot more versatility in case I decided to transport anything else beyond bikes.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'm using the Bones 3 on my '09 GT and have had no issues. I did check the Saris site and the G8 does not show as compatible but mine holds like rebar in concrete. Last month I did a 1000 mile roundtrip to Florida and back and the bike and rack were rock solid. I did take the front wheel off to keep the bars from swaying (although I initially used a piece of rope to tie the front wheel to the down tube). Have not tried two or three bikes as I have my wife's SUV and Thule roof rack for that, but with one there are no problems.

As well, the Saris rack should not be positioned on the bumper at all. It should be mounted with the top feet on the top of the trunk and the bottom feet straddling the license plate. I rest the bottom feet on the lip just below the license plate and it works well. Positioned this way, you can open the trunk with the rack attached.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's the imprsesion I was under as well, is it would fit exactly as you described. Maybe the issue is with multiple bikes..? That's my only thought was maybe they add additional weight on top of the amount of bikes their rack holds as a built in safety measure. But even then, if it's pressing on the bottom part of the trunk lid as opposed to the bumper itself, it shouldn't matter.

Who knows. Maybe I do get the Saris to hold me over until I have more of a need for the roof rack. Thanks for the input, swimman.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Rear Bumper and diffuser are the exact same on the V6 and GT.
GXP does have a different Diffuser, FYI.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
I have a 15 year old BELL trunk mounted bike rack that holds 2 bikes and attaches via 4 straps. I always put a micro fiber towel on the trunk lid so as to not damage the paint of the trunk. Here's a link to the newer model of what I have, BELL also makes a 3 bike carrier that is the same for a little more$$$.

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4384232

All the trunk lids and rear bumpers are the same on all levels of G8's unless you have an SLP Firehawk and then the spoiler is a little taller but the above carrier would still fit and work.

If you need any pics of it installed on my car just let me know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts