Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so when I bought my G8, the rear bumper was repainted poorly and chipping. I took the bumper off like last year to repaint it, and I couldn't put it back to sit flush with the rear fenders and everything. I just left it like it is in the pictures, but now it's really bothering me. Does anyone have any idea how I can make it fit perfectly again? The clips are not grabbing and holding the bumper because the bumper has those little slots and they are worn down. Anyone have any solutions?

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
The bumper just pushes in and locks. If it's not staying in when you push it in, your hooks or the catch tabs may be worn. Also check to make sure you took the push-lock out of the rear of the wheel house on the rear tire before putting the bumper on, it interlocks with the bumper.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did all that. I think the catch tabs are worn down. :( I don't know if there are any solutions, like attaching it with something else or taking it off and reinforcing the catch tabs somehow. I'm a little scared to take it off again tbh, but if that's the only solution I might have to. Anyone else have the same problem and found a solution?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hm not sure how the bumper bolts up back there but maybe take it to a good body shop and see if they can help you? Couldn't be more than an hour labor.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm having my new tires mounted onto my new wheels in the spring and the place is also a very good body shop I think, so i'll have them take a look and see if they can fix it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
rear bumper

Not sure if you fixed your bumper yet . I just bought 09 g8 gt. Rear bumper on both sides didn't fit flush. I will describe what I did to fix. There are 2 plastic press tabs , 1 at bottom of bumper and inner fender cover , 1 press tab in middle and 1 screw at top . The screw and bottom tab are straight forward install. The middle hole is the key . you have to install first. The problem with my bumper was the bumper was aligned behind the metal mounting tab. This tab has a gusset for reinforcement , if mounted behind it won't sit flush and actually pushes the bumper out. I pulled the bumper forward and had lip of bumper come over the tab to sit flush. Then line up metal tab, bumper and inner fender holes. Put in locking tab , then lower tab , then top screw . Both sides now fit flush

1 - 7 of 7 Posts