Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything special to be done to switch out to the aluminum Camaro rear knuckes? I saw a post on this about the ABS plugs being different, is that it?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I was thinking about this to since it would allow you to run the Camaro e-brake setup. I can't find the post right now but I remember that some of the rear control arms have to be replaced with Camaro units. Other than that I'm unsure.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wonder if the aluminum upper control arm from the PPV Caprice can be used also.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am in the process of performing this swap now. I just ordered the last pieces, the Camaro rear upper Control arms. One thing to keep in mind is that the Camaro assembly uses a different spline outer cv joint, which means that you will need to use either G force axles or possibly the Camaro SS axles. I do not race the car, so I am trying the Camaro axles myself.

Since The Camaro SS axles are .4" longer, I will need to test for binding when I do the change. I spoke to Andy at Squash, and he says that he has already performed this conversion, with both axles. He stated that if the car is stock height or slightly lowered, the Camaro axles will work. Although I do not know what slightly lowered refers to yet... I will update the post once I complete the change over.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, camaro axles(possibly shortened .4"),camaro upper control arm and changing plug are required. Is that all so far?

·
Registered
118 Posts
The hubs, backing plate and e-brakes shoes are different. The current G8 E-brake cable will work with both setups. The rear wheel speed sensors are different, but can be made to work in the G8 by changing the GM connector on the harness.

The axle shaft is where the questions come to play. The Camaro has asymmetrical half shafts which help with the axle hop. The G8 and Camaro inner CV Joints are interchangeable; however the G8 uses a 30 spline outer CV joint whereas the Camaro uses a 33 spline outer Joint. It’s the length of the axle shaft that I am unsure about …. I have read that the Camaro axles are about .4 shorter in length, but do work in the swap as long as the car is stock height or only slightly lowered. I haven’t determined what that exactly means yet.

Since the Camaro uses the Zeta 2 platform the rear geometry has been improved. The Camaro sub frame and sub frame bushings has been strengthened. The Camaro uses an aluminum knuckle with 2 bearings and 1 bushing whereas the G8 has an iron knuckle with 1 bearing and 2 bushings. The Camaro rear upper control arm has been repositioned slightly. (GM moved the rear upper control arm forward at the knuckle to help improve the rear geometry.) The rear differential/carrier assembly is a direct swap between the two cars as well as most of the rear control arms

I also just read on another thread that the Camaro rear sub frame is a direct swap into our G8’s as well. If this is correct then I don’t see where any difference in axle length would come from. This would also mean that the beefier Camaro ZL1 HD Driveline Kit would be a viable option for our cars. This kit would be far more cost effective than G force axles and a 9 inch carrier assembly plus would bring a rear end cooler into the mix.

Below are the measurements from the stock Camaro axle lengths. Does anyone have stock G8 axles sitting around that could measure the length? I would like to compare the two cars.
Camaro Axle length
The stock rear axle lengths in their middle (at rest) position, measured joint end to joint end are:

Driver's Side: 35.375"
Passenger's Side: 33.50"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts