Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The Mustang dude
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clipped a curb and now I need to replace a bent arm back there and thinking of maybe making a couple upgrades back there... is this hard work (i.e. can be done with hand tools in driveway)?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yes it can ,takes patients you will need to remove the cradle bolts ,might as well put in BMR cradle bushings while your at it . took me and a friend a whole day .

·
The Mustang dude
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just looked and its the Toe Rod that I need to swap... Whole cradle doesnt come down just for that does it?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I just looked and its the Toe Rod that I need to swap... Whole cradle doesnt come down just for that does it?
I have a set of chevy ss lower control arms and the rear 28mm sway bar if you're interested. I also have both tie rods and upper aluminum control arms. I have the rear knuckles/bearing/axle too

·
Registered
733 Posts
Yes doable. I did it on jack stands and installed the cradle bushings. Cradle bolts heat and remove by hand. They will bind if using air tools. I rested everything on the dif and a 3 ton jack. A spare small 1.5 ton jack came in handy as second pair of hands.

·
Registered
189 Posts
i did the toe, trailing and control arms on jackstands. the inboard lower control arm bolts WILL give u problems.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
A lot of folks recommend heat for the subframe bolts, but I would urge you to simply have it ready in case you need it. These bolts are quite hardy, and hand strength should not be sufficient to break them. Heat is a last resort as I've learned.

In fact, it may not be necessary; it wasn't for me. A good 1/2" Drive breaker bar will do the trick. You gotta use some muscle, and when they get stuck you'll find they bind but release (pop) 15 degrees or so at a time. It might take you an honest hour getting them loose.

Calipers and E-Brake lines have to be removed/disconnected as well as the exhaust obviously... Unplug the speed sensor cable(passenger side next to the gas tank). Disconnect the driveshaft using the bolts (not the nuts and bolts. It's better that way. Then remove the bolts.

Three jacks make it easy if you don't have a special jack for the differential to lower it correctly. Two go under the upper cradle bushings, and one on the front of the differential (the body). Once the bolts are out and you attach the jacks in the back as you remove them (first), you'll want to gently lower the subframe. It pays to take the rotors off, but you don't have to. It's a weight thing.

You'll want to tilt it by lowering the back first so you can more easily release the SUPPORTED drive shaft from the differential. There's a dowel pin. It will take some convincing to get the frame to move. Then you simply lower the three jacks in succession.

These are floor jacks, and I recommend big ones if you can borrow them. Watch for the differentials vent snorkel, and then once you get it low enough you can pull it out.

First time takes a while, but putting it back in will take 15 minutes with 2 people. It's a lot easier once you know what you're doing.

Again, supporting the driveshaft is critical.

Removing the cradle bushings is easy enough with a self made press using threaded rod, a plate with a hole in the center helps... washers, and bolts. I used two on the side I was turning to lock them in place. I also used PVC fittings as a sleeve. I forget the size, but you can measure that easily enough once the cradle is out.

The rear ones will pop out. The front ones will rip out leaving the sleeve. You simply use a hack saw to score the plastic in two places about 15 degrees apart. By score, I mean cut enough that you're nearly through, but not all the way. It's a plastic sleeve; after that it'll tap out pretty easily once you score it.

It's a breeze when done right.

Any other bushings are best using a ball joint press (C-Clamp looking thing if you're not sure). The differential is hard to get out of there if you do those, and those sleeves are metal. So if you can't press the metal out, it's a beeotch to remove with a hammer and chisel. You have to be sure to go the right way, too, because it appears to be ever so slightly expanded on one end to prevent it from moving.

Anywhoo, it's not an extremely difficult job, just time consuming and you are best doing the removal and reinstallation with 2 people.

·
Registered
189 Posts
not sure if he was asking about the cradle bushings. but i had to put alot heat and force on the LC arm bolts. and was awkward bolt position. moog makes a replacement set of rear control arm bolts. but it sounds like you just need toe rod or trailing arm.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Those Rear LCA bolts tend to fuse to the sleeve, so heat does help in removing them depending on how bad it is.. Other times heat doesn't work.

I was using an acetylene torch on mine and it wasn't enough. I had to cut them, and the rest is history. Needed two new LCAs... There are few reasons to really remove the LCAs unless you have damage or a serious problem with alignment. Once fused, there's really no adjusting the bolt for camber. That can lead to big time camber wear.

For toe rods and trailing arms, you don't really need to remove the cradle... In fact, you don't have to remove it for any of them when using the right tools.

·
The Mustang dude
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wrote control arms but I meant Toe Rod. I'm gonna have a contact at the local alignment shop do it all for me. I just dont have the time to mess with it right now.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Yeah, as much as I like fixing my own car. There are many times where I just want the problem to be fixed without having to go through all the trouble. Especially when time is a factor.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Now you have to decide to go with an OEM style or an aftermarket. If you think this will ever happen again. Get the upgraded GM one for the 1LE Camaro. That same whack on the curb with an aftermarket tubular one will be way more expensive to repair. OEM ones are made to collapse under an impact like that. Tubular ones could take out the knuckle, subframe, control arms.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Reviving the old thread... Do the 1LE LCAs bolt on directly? No sway bar/sway bar links modifications needed? Trying to put together a list of parts to replace my old rusty suspension components...

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Straight bolt on, better bushing, and you get both for about $80 part # 23484878. I'm also going to add the L1E toe rods and solid upper rear control arm bushings.
That should kill all wheel hop

·
Registered
34 Posts
Straight bolt on, better bushing, and you get both for about $80 part # 23484878. I'm also going to add the L1E toe rods and solid upper rear control arm bushings.
That should kill all wheel hop
Sweet. Would you know the part numbers for the toe rods? I'm a huge fan of OEM stuff even though my car may end up being a GM frankenstein monster haha

·
F1rehawk
628 Posts
Subscribed. Also interested...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
9 Participants
GTRenegade911
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing