Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked a local shop about installing Superpro rear cradle bushings, and I got some unexpected responses. Could anyone help clarify for me?

1) Mechanic said these bushings can become "frozen in" after a few years and would be difficult to remove / impact ride quality. Any legitimacy to this?

2) Mechanic suggested a realignment after the install. I just had my front realigned 6 months ago. Do I really need a rear realignment, or are they just trying to get more $$ out of the deal?

3) Mechanic said that their estimate is between 2-4 hours. 4 HOURS?! Really?! I don't see how this could be more than 3 max. Is this reasonable?

3) Mechanic made no mention of Green Grease, but I read on other threads that this is a 'must' to prevent creaking noise. Require this as part of the install?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
1. Have never heard of this.
2. No alignment is needed.
3. 2 hours to install. Maybe 2 and a half if something is seized.
4. Grease came with my inserts. I used it.

EDIT: You're talking about the cradle INSERTS right?

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Your mechanic is talking out of his butt. The alignment pins on the rear bushings eliminate the alignment problems. The time is because he doesn't know these cars. Bet it will be the first one he has worked on. I used a little of the energy suspension teflon grease during my install. They go in easier lubed than dry. The only "fun" is getting the bolts out. They did not spare the lock tite on mine.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I finished my super pro sub frame inserts in under an hour, in my garage. Super easy install. I used soap and water to get them in. No rear alignment was needed.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the heads up on These questions.

Yep, I'm talking about the read cradle Inserts. It's comparable to the BK002 BMR set.

I would like to do this by myself, but is it really that easy to do when my car is just on a set of jackstands? Seems like itd be a tight working space, but lemme know if I'm too pessimistic on this. Would like to save $200 if I can.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Many board members have done it themselves. I had a shop do it, because, well, I'm super lazy.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Your mechanic is talking out of his butt. The alignment pins on the rear bushings eliminate the alignment problems. The time is because he doesn't know these cars. Bet it will be the first one he has worked on. I used a little of the energy suspension teflon grease during my install. They go in easier lubed than dry. The only "fun" is getting the bolts out. They did not spare the lock tite on mine.
I know I am a little late to the party but I honestly couldn't have said it any better myself.

1. I have never heard no seen of this issue at all so I am not sure exactly what the mechanic is talking about. I do recommend throwing a little grease on the inserts but that is just to get them to slide in easier not to keep them from freezing up in the factory bushing.

2. No need to do any sort of alignment when lowering the rear cradle down because there are alignment dowels for the rear cradle that align everything back to where it should be.

3. I would think a reputable shop would charge 2 hours max for the job. I can do them in about 30 minutes on a lift but I have had lots of practice. It sounds like the mechanic is kind of scared of the job and making sure he covers his butt.

4. The rear cradle inserts aren't noisy at all but you can grease the surface that butt up to the chassis if you want to be absolutely sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.