Pontiac G8 Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Pontiac G8 aka Karma
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ok, thanks Hot Rod. I was hoping I could get away without one but I guess not. My tuner is a few hours away from me and I'm not crazy about driving in Ohio lol.

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT
410 Posts
It was drivable, just couldn't romp on it like he wanted too till it got tuned, after that he LOVED it, still does.
20190724_172152.jpg

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hoping to get the diff in this weekend. I've been trying for damn near a month now and something always seems to keep me from getting it done.

Hopefully Saturday!

I found a somewhat local tuner too! He's quite a bit more than my guy in Ohio but it will get street tuned then dyno'd so I suppose it's worth the extra money. He also needs it for two days so I know he will be putting some time into it. Really nice guy and I'm looking forward to getting this all done.

I picked up a center support bearing just in case I feel mine has too much play. Wouldn't want that to keep me from getting all this done.

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT
410 Posts
I would definitely change that carrier bearing while he's got all that apart, great insurance for later.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I would definitely change that carrier bearing while he's got all that apart, great insurance for later.
Yes, I did the swap today finally and also changed the carrier bearing. The whole thing only took a couple hours and I took my time.

Huge difference! My speedo is waaaay off. I drove home from Novi(96) and my speedo was I'm guessing 10-12 mph off. The tune will take care of that. I know driving it in manual mode, it seemed like it wanted a 6th gear lol.

A few pics....

IMG_20200829_102003.jpg
IMG_20200829_101922.jpg

IMG_20200829_102003.jpg
IMG_20200829_101922.jpg
IMG_20200829_114515.jpg
IMG_20200829_165248.jpg

Reactions: Hot Rod

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I have no idea why my pictures post twice. Sorry about that!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Also, one thing to note is that I did have to swap the pinion flange from the V6 diff to the 3.27 as the 3.27 does not quite fit correctly. Swapping those makes for a perfect fit.

Even though I tried to put everything back exactly how it was, I did have to align the rear. Camber was good but I had about a 1/4" of toe out, so I corrected that as well.

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT
410 Posts
That's great, yes you will love it, that's what his was off by as well, 10 MPH.

Reactions: rockinlespaul

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
That's great, yes you will love it, that's what his was off by as well, 10 MPH.
I already do! Haha. Can't wait for a retune though. This time it goes on the dyno.

I have been doing heavy suspension work for the shop I work at for 26 years so this was a fairly easy job and I fortunately have access to everything I would ever need, including a lift and rack to align it. Anyone with common sense and the right tools could do it though.

Reactions: BAS G8 and Hot Rod

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Finally see the tuner man tomorrow. Had a local guy who is supposed to be really good all lined up but he can't seem to find the time so off to Ohio I go.

Not crazy about driving almost 3 hours into Ohio, but Dan tuned it originally and he knows exactly what it needs. Price is right too.

The local guy was selling me on a complete tune w/dyno and it was considerably more. Even just the trans/rear end/speedo tune was considerably more and by the way he was talking, it didn't sound like he's ever even done one to a G8 so I'll stick with my guy.

I've been switching back and forth from the G8 to my G6 GT winter beater as far as the work commute goes but from what I've experienced driving the 8 in manual mode is that 1st gear is literally useless and going through the gears, it's looking for a 6th gear lol.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
And she's good to go!

The drive to and from Ohio sucked lol.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts