Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody just switching the rear end gears to a different ratio? I see a few threads on swapping to a Camaro rear diff but what happened to just switching gears on a car? What's the stock ratio? I think something in 3.40's to 3.70's would be nice. Not sure what's available.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
very costly to just switch out the gears... better to just get camaro diff... 3.27 or 3.45?... I have a 3.50 in my 9" rear setup and can quickly and cheaply change to whatever ratio I want..... but not so cheap or easy in stock diff....

·
CCG8 / FLG8
2,089 Posts
Like ^^ said, the cost of the new gears is near the price of a used Camaro 3.27 or 3.45 diff. stock g8 is 2.92. The Camaro diff is stronger than the G8, a little and it seems the 2011 Camaro diff may actually be a little stronger than the 2010. They have different part numbers and the only difference i could find was the case itself.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Since the setup of ours is just a few bolts and center section out, new one in.....

·
Senior Member Mike
824 Posts
Since the setup of ours is just a few bolts and center section out, new one in.....
Ahh interesting!
What would be the obvious choice of Camaro Diffs for a GT automatic? and how much would one cost?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Ahh interesting!
What would be the obvious choice of Camaro Diffs for a GT automatic? and how much would one cost?

Thanks!
I was thinking of going with3.27 grear , don't want to go crazy but found out that i could go to 3.45 or even 3.70 gears wouldn't be to radical. only little decrease in mileage, ours are typicaly 2.92s in the rear.

·
Senior Member Mike
824 Posts
3.45 from a Camaro seems like the way to go. Don't think they came with anything numerically higher.

Yes...understood. But how much would the 3.45 Camaro rear cost? and would it truly be a plug n play? :)

Thanks!

·
10sec...all motor
253 Posts
I am curious as well to cost?

How much of a MPG drop did you all see with your 3.27 versus 3.45?

Any traction issues with either of these two?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did some searching on the camaro forum and saw $450-$750 with the higher priced unit fitted with pfadt bushings. When I had my 4th gen Camaro you could just buy gears (ring and pinion set) for around $180-$200 and the install wasn't bad. Guess the IRS is a little different.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Anyone put a GXP 3.7 Rear Diff into a GT???
Ditto, im looking to putting in 3.27 or 3.70's in my GT. Stock for NOW, but fun stuff later.

From the outer most of a uncharted galaxy! !

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
Nice thread revival. :sneaky:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts