Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was checking on mid-pipe bolts from the headers I put on last winter and saw this. Was clean as a whistle when I put it away and I've only driven it twice since pulling her back out. Guessing it's a rear main but thought I'd see if anyone else thought any different (pic's not the greatest but the stain goes back to just beyond the TC peep hole cover). No spots on the floor and the level on the dipstick is fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Take off the inspection cover and get a look up inside to see if the oil is in there as well. It should be if it is a rear-main.

Otherwise, a rear oil pan leak (more common) may be the culprit. Once it runs down and air blows it around it'll go all over the place and it doesn't have to be a ton of oil.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Looks like the rear main. These cars are getting older, so seals are starting to weaken, and get brittle.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Take off the inspection cover and get a look up inside to see if the oil is in there as well. It should be if it is a rear-main.

Otherwise, a rear oil pan leak (more common) may be the culprit. Once it runs down and air blows it around it'll go all over the place and it doesn't have to be a ton of oil.
I checked up the inspection hole as soon as I saw the leak, looks clean as a whistle up there. Also pulled the little plastic flex plate inspection cover, the outside was covered but the inside was fine (and the flex plate and surrounding area was bone dry).

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts

What's involved with changing the oil pan gasket?

I [stupidly] did not change the gasket when I replaced the clutch a couple of years ago. Even though I replaced the rear main seal.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
What's involved with changing the oil pan gasket?

I [stupidly] did not change the gasket when I replaced the clutch a couple of years ago. Even though I replaced the rear main seal.

With an old gasket I'd fully remove the pan so that I could clean both surfaces. The RTV that will almost certainly be in there will have to be removed and reapplied to a clean surface. I did all four corners where the gaskets meet when I did my rebuild. Enough to cover the gap with as little residual as possible.

It's probably going to be a royal pain under the car without a lift. Lots of colorful metaphors will be used..... :D

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I checked up the inspection hole as soon as I saw the leak, looks clean as a whistle up there. Also pulled the little plastic flex plate inspection cover, the outside was covered but the inside was fine (and the flex plate and surrounding area was bone dry).

UV Leak Dye time.

If it is squeaky clean inside there, then I don't see how it really could be a rear main. I'm sure I could be surprised - the view into that space isn't exactly great - but my instincts say you need to clean it up and let the dye work for you.

UV Light + UV Glasses should point it out to you.

Related experience.....Short version :D ..... I had a similar leak on the other side of the motor. It pooled in the same spot bot also near the inspection plate. I panicked thinking I fudged the rear main replacement. I, too, looked inside the bell housing and found no oil. I traced it up the side when I noticed it leading to the dipstick....

I made a flexible dipstick tube (long story) that ended up popping out of the port causing the leak. I ordered a new dipstick and installed it and the problem went away. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts