Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get rid of all the remaining 3M adhesive tape that was used to hold the rear spoiler bracket onto the trunk lid.

Can’t seem to get it off nicely, I’ve tried Goo Gone’s automotive solvent, cloth wrapped putty knives, and isopropyl alcohol. No luck yet.

Anyone have experience in removing this or something similar? I think the next step is to try using some heat.

Thanks team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
I've used 3m adhesive remover for other things.

·
Registered
270 Posts
heat gun or hair dryer. Get it all gooey then use goo gone and putty knife or even just a microfiber towel. Mine came off easily this way.

·
F1rehawk
760 Posts
I would try heat gun from a good distance and then a microfiber towel dipped with Goo Gone. Then Compound/Polish/Wax.

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
Would recommend using a hair dryer becasue it doesn't get nearly as hot as a heat gun and it doesn't take much heat from the gun before the paint starts to bake i.e. bubble. A good paint stripper (not thinner) should remove the adhesive, but again, be extremely cautious and use it at your own discretion.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Couple of thoughts.

I used, I believe it was Goof Off Gel to remove the trunk emblems on my Impala. Put it on and let it set for a good half hour or better, used a plastic putty knife to scrap most of it off and hit it for another go round.

I think 3M makes what they call a adhesive eraser. Put it on your drill & go to town. I work at an car dealer and that's what they use not sure where to find one but my guess is Google would be your best friend.

Good luck

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate the input, Team. It’s been a long time coming trying to remove this stuff, a drill attachment or gel could work, especially since some of the goo is on a vertical surface.

If the paint isn’t perfect when I’m finished it’s not too big a deal, since I plan to put another spoiler on eventually.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I appreciate the input, Team. It’s been a long time coming trying to remove this stuff, a drill attachment or gel could work, especially since some of the goo is on a vertical surface.

If the paint isn’t perfect when I’m finished it’s not too big a deal, since I plan to put another spoiler on eventually.

Left the trunk of the Impala open so it turned it into a vertical surface too. I was amazed at how much came off the first time. You'll probably see some "ghosting" mostly due to dirt that got accumulated but going over it with a clay bar after should take care of most of that.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Try the 3m adhesive remover and a microfiber towel. I do this to get rid of glue and residue on cars I detail. Mainly dealer stickers and emblems. It's safe on paint. Just give it a wax after. It will take off any wax. Oh and not in the hot sun. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,628 Posts
Important part is take your time! Let it soak.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts