Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed this morning as I was filling up with gas, that the ends of my spoiler are coming up just slightly. Is it possible to buy a new adhesive strip for it, or should I just go with something like 3M mounting tape?

Thanks,
eb

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bueller?

Anyone have any info or tips?

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
3M double sided will work fine.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
good luck taking that wing of without breaking it. Same think happened to me and it didn't go well.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Yeah 3M molding tape will work well. When you remove the spoiler you'll need to loosen the existing tape first before you even attempt to get off the tabs holding the spoiler down without breaking them. It can be done, if you work on one side and are able to reach into the trunk lid itself and get to the tabs. I only broke one of mine so it can be done if you're careful. Good luck.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
good luck taking that wing of without breaking it. Same think happened to me and it didn't go well.
Hmmmm. Noted.

Yeah 3M molding tape will work well. When you remove the spoiler you'll need to loosen the existing tape first before you even attempt to get off the tabs holding the spoiler down without breaking them. It can be done, if you work on one side and are able to reach into the trunk lid itself and get to the tabs. I only broke one of mine so it can be done if you're careful. Good luck.
Do you think I HAVE to take it off completely? Kinda looks like maybe I can get some 3M tape under the ends, but I don't really know what all is under there.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Do you think I HAVE to take it off completely? Kinda looks like maybe I can get some 3M tape under the ends, but I don't really know what all is under there.
If I remember correctly you should be able to get some replacement tape under the ends if you're careful and don't pull up too much on the spoiler. You'll have to take the nuts off the two bolts that hold the spoiler down on each side. Only problem is that I'm not sure you'd be able to fully remove the old tape in that area. But that certainly is worth trying, if the rest of the tape seems to be holding just fine.

As for what is under there, it's 5 plastic clips (which easily break), 2 bolts (one on each end of the spoiler) and the double faced tape running the entire length of the spoiler both front and back. It is held down quite well.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I remember correctly you should be able to get some replacement tape under the ends if you're careful and don't pull up too much on the spoiler. You'll have to take the nuts off the two bolts that hold the spoiler down on each side. Only problem is that I'm not sure you'd be able to fully remove the old tape in that area. But that certainly is worth trying, if the rest of the tape seems to be holding just fine.

As for what is under there, it's 5 plastic clips (which easily break), 2 bolts (one on each end of the spoiler) and the double faced tape running the entire length of the spoiler both front and back. It is held down quite well.
OK. Thanks. Guessing the bolts are accessible inside the trunk lid?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
For me it was the outer shell that was lifting, one of the heat welds (just looked like glue to me) had come appart. The shell was firmly attached but I knew I had to take it off to try and fix it. It all went bad when I had to get the clips out. I just couldn't get my had in there far enough, maybe I short fingers lol. Anyway that shell ended up in about 7 pieces......so Fire Hawk replica is on the way!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For me it was the outer shell that was lifting, one of the heat welds (just looked like glue to me) had come appart. The shell was firmly attached but I knew I had to take it off to try and fix it. It all went bad when I had to get the clips out. I just couldn't get my had in there far enough, maybe I short fingers lol. Anyway that shell ended up in about 7 pieces......so Fire Hawk replica is on the way!
Haha. OK.

Yes, that sounds exactly like what is happening to mine. I'm going to try to just put some 3M molding tape under there as a temporary fix, or maybe permanent if it lasts.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Is there some kind of tool dealerships or body shops would use to get those clips to release? I took off the trunk liner and snaked my hand up to them and I have no frickin' idea how you could do it with just your fingers or whatever.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Is there some kind of tool dealerships or body shops would use to get those clips to release? I took off the trunk liner and snaked my hand up to them and I have no frickin' idea how you could do it with just your fingers or whatever.
I'm not sure if a tool for this exists. When I had my SLP spoiler installed by the dealer that painted it, I helped remove the old spoiler. We just used needle nose pliers that were angled 90 degrees to get most of them out. But, one or two needed to be removed by hand. To do that we slowly pulled up on the spoiler while pressing the tab together as much as possible. It's by no means an easy process and I highly recommend wearing some good work gloves while doing it so that you can press the tabs and not hurt your hands in the process. I have removed another spoiler without the use of pliers and can tell you that I had to press all 5 tabs out by hand. I got 4 of them successfully, just by pulling up lightly on the spoiler while pinching the tab together. It can be done, but like you said it ain't easy.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I looked at the diagram on the link in post# 11 and have read about stock spoiler removal but am still a little uncertain: is there kind of a base plate that the clips are fastened to and under that there's tape to further secure the spoiler to the deck lid? IF that is the case, when beginning a removal do you unscrew the nuts on the small bolts on one end and start trying to separate the base from the tape progressively as you work your way in to the area of the first clip, then press in the tabs on it while lifting up and keep going inwards in the same fashion? Again, if so, what is the best way to deal with the tape without harming the paint in that area? Maybe "saw" fishing line back and forth between the deck lid and the base???

·
Registered
896 Posts
I looked at the diagram on the link in post# 11 and have read about stock spoiler removal but am still a little uncertain: is there kind of a base plate that the clips are fastened to and under that there's tape to further secure the spoiler to the deck lid? IF that is the case, when beginning a removal do you unscrew the nuts on the small bolts on one end and start trying to separate the base from the tape progressively as you work your way in to the area of the first clip, then press in the tabs on it while lifting up and keep going inwards in the same fashion? Again, if so, what is the best way to deal with the tape without harming the paint in that area? Maybe "saw" fishing line back and forth between the deck lid and the base???
Yes, you would take off the nuts on each end of the spoiler and then I would loosen all the tape first, not just the area you're working on. You could try the fishing line method, I went with an old credit card and used it to cut through the tape. Reason you want the tape completely in-adhered is because the spoiler will allow for a little bit of movement, its a tiny bit, but just enough to allow you to slowly pull up on the spoiler and it's really not so much a matter of having to completely press the tabs together for removal as much as it is just getting the ends of the tabs together enough that it's willing to pop out without breaking. Use some light duty work gloves as that will allow you to pinch the tabs together easier without messing up your fingers. Start on one end and just work one tab at a time until you get it off.

I really wish I had my wife take pictures of the process when I did it so others could see the removal. I've got a buddy that wants to remove his so I'll make sure to take some pics then and start a DIY thread so others can see more clearly. It's more tedious than it is difficult but plan on at least an hour to get this done. Don't forget the double faced tape that you'll need to reinstall your new spoiler. And if you're installing a used spoiler, just be certain that the base and spoiler are secured, since this seems to be a problem that a few members have actually mentioned before.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
See my post over at the other forum as it relates to the five (5) plastic clips that secure the spoiler bracket: Trim Clip ID with pics - Page 4

You want the yellow clips with the foam washer. Part numbers 25724529 and 25693852, as listed in the parts catalog, are white without the foam washer. P/N 5480852 (GM part number and can be found in the U.S.) and/or Dorman P/N 700-058 are the ones you want.

Attachments

·
Registered
533 Posts
Good info; thanks. Any idea how these are inserted into the spoiler bracket if you break some taking the stock spoiler off?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts