Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009.5 black G8. I noticed that my spoiler was starting to get loose, but seemed to be on there pretty good. Driving to work Friday and after I get to to work and look back to lock her, noticed the spoiler was completely gone. I am not sure where it came off yet, but I have yet to find it (probably in pieces somewhere).

What are some options in replacing it? Do yall believe that GM dealerships will be able to get a OEM replacement? What about buying after market spoilers? I was looking at JHP and the VE SV6 as it seemed to be the one that I liked the best, but I don't know where I should get it painted and if it would fit my car or not. I assume it doesn't just fit it there, but I am a complete car newbie when it comes to replacing this kind of stuff and not comfortable doing it myself (plus, I don't really have time due to work and kid).

I live in the Triad area in NC if anyone knows someone I could talk too. Thanks!

·
Registered
881 Posts
I have the SLP high lip spoiler and love it but i dont think you can find it anymore. The closest thing to it would be the Maverick Man carbon fiber spoiler which is a bit pricey.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I found the one I have on eBay and it wasn't as expensive as one coming direct from Oz (meaning JHP). I just looked and saw the same boot (trunk) spoiler I have from the same seller for about $150 painted and shipped. The guy who installed mine said the mounting points were pre-marked on my lid. He did have to patch the holes where the OEM had been mounted. I have had zero problems with mine.

Of course, YMMV.

'08 G8 - VE Commodore SV6 - HW, Sunroof, Premium, Comfort & Sound
Mods: VE Commodore Conversion - Front Bar & Grille, Bonnet, Spoiler, Badges, Wheel Centre Caps, Steering Wheel Airbag, Holden Cluster, Leather Console Lid, Holden Shift Knob; Auto-Dimming Mirror (w/o airbag nag), VG Shark Fin, CoStar Bluetooth, Aspheric Door Mirrors, Exterior Boot Release, GMH Rear Window Sunshade, GMH Radiator Cover, GT Boot Lid Liner, GT 2.92 LSD, Parking Sensors, Reverse Camera

·
CCG8 / FLG8
2,089 Posts
Check out Body Kits Kingdom in Australia. Note prices are AUD. To convert to approx USD multiply by .72 and it will be close. They sell all styles in both fiberglass and CF. They make styles A, B and D. A is about same as G8. B is like A but more overlap on top of trunk lid to cover Aussie trunk with the holes G8 does not have for SSV-style wing spoiler. C is Senator style. I know nothing about quality. I just found them on the net. I do not know if they will ship to USA. I also see them in UK. If available in the UK, it might be cheaper to ship from there.

Style B

Style D

·
Registered
895 Posts
I'd look for a factory spoiler or if you get lucky and find one the SLP spoiler. I have the SLP and it's probably the best appearance mod I've done so far.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Reading this has me a little paranoid. Mine too is a tad loose on the passenger side. Haven't had any concern because like you, I feel I'm ok. But now.

What are some good reinforcement options? The easier the better

It seems like spoiler issues are becoming common lately. From falling off to having the clear coat peeling. Wth.

·
Registered
478 Posts
3m structural adhesive and it will never come off again.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Wake this old thread up.

So yesterday I'm washing the car and the spoiler just pops off. All the clips are broke. Had no signs of being loose. I lucked out and only have a couple chips on the spoiler. So I plan on touch up painting that. But as for sticking it back on. What do you guys suggest ? Got an appointment for a body shop Thursday but felt I might be able to fix it myself. I hear double sided tape like gorilla tape won't work. It's gotta withstand 130mph forces and want to be sure it stays on

·
Registered
65 Posts
Wake this old thread up.

So yesterday I'm washing the car and the spoiler just pops off. All the clips are broke. Had no signs of being loose. I lucked out and only have a couple chips on the spoiler. So I plan on touch up painting that. But as for sticking it back on. What do you guys suggest ? Got an appointment for a body shop Thursday but felt I might be able to fix it myself. I hear double sided tape like gorilla tape won't work. It's gotta withstand 130mph forces and want to be sure it stays on
Last winter I foolishly drove my car and parked at work with a downward slope and had a guy help push me out. He broke the spoiler off and I just used epoxy for plastic. Has held up well so far.

·
Premium Member
4,511 Posts
The guy helping me push a car was about to do the exact same thing. Fortunately, caught him just in time and said, no, push the bumper.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Thanks for the advice ! : )

·
Pontiac Crazy
406 Posts
Check out Body Kits Kingdom in Australia. Note prices are AUD. To convert to approx USD multiply by .72 and it will be close. They sell all styles in both fiberglass and CF. They make styles A, B and D. A is about same as G8. B is like A but more overlap on top of trunk lid to cover Aussie trunk with the holes G8 does not have for SSV-style wing spoiler. C is Senator style. I know nothing about quality. I just found them on the net. I do not know if they will ship to USA. I also see them in UK. If available in the UK, it might be cheaper to ship from there.

B is pretty much an exact match to my Walkenshaw, good to know if I ever need a replacement

·
Registered
260 Posts
Just got my Body Kits Kingdom spoiler

And here it is. I had to elongate one of the holes in the trunk lid a bit but after that fit was good. Really liking it.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts