Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somehow my rear spoiler came un-fastened to my trunk lid. Should I take it to a body shop or can I attempt to attach it myself?

Paul
Parker, CO
08 G8 GT

·
Premium Member
6,435 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
If you know how to plastic weld, I'd start with that and add epoxy as reinforcement. I'd be leary of just using epoxy.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I did this.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,435 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Somehow my rear spoiler came un-fastened to my trunk lid. Should I take it to a body shop or can I attempt to attach it myself?
Yes, you can attach it yourself. Normally the upper part of the spoiler is attached to the lower part with 5 small plastic tabs that break over time.You can attach it along the whole boundary instead. You might be able to glue it on, but my experience with glue wasn't good. I'd recommend "welding" it with a soldering iron. For that you need to get it off the car. Then reach from inside the spoiler and melt it together along the whole contact line. When I've got the replacement spoiler from my broken one, I've done this welding before installing it on the car, and it feels much stronger and holds much better. I guess as a safety precaution you can also drill the holes in the stumps of the tabs, and wire them to the lower half. That way if the welding breaks, you won't lose the top part.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts