Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning went to open the trunk on my gxp and the spoiler came off. Has anyone else had this problem? The design looks weak it broke all the ribs that attached to the metal frame. This car has been in a garage its whole life, never driven in bad weather with only 23000 miles. GM wants $475 without paint new.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Can you be more detailed on what happened and what the damage is?

There should be a built on each side of the spoiler...what happened to those?

Unless the spoiler is physically broken you should be able to just get it painted (if necessary) and double sided tape it back on (and/or use the 5 PITA clips).

Any pics?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Heard a few stories of them coming off on the highway. Hopefully yours is reusable so it doesn't cost you too much.

·
2009 G8 GXP
446 Posts
should this be covered under the sheet metal warrenty .........one could argure that but I know GM will not give a s**t.
Maybe this is your chance to mod it. What color is your GXP ? CF overlay.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car is black. The metal inner structure is still attached to the deck lid. I had to get to work didn't really have time too look at it close just said a couple of choice words and put the spoiler in the trunk

·
Registered
371 Posts
The car is black. The metal inner structure is still attached to the deck lid. I had to get to work didn't really have time too look at it close just said a couple of choice words and put the spoiler in the trunk
When mine was taken off to get painted the bracket (which I believe is what u r saying is still on the trunk) separated from the spoiler. We ended up scrapping it off then my painter used some sort of adhesive to put it back together (I'm sure someone can chime in on what to use).

Either way it sounds like it shouldn't need replacing and if you are lucky it won't need to be painted.

·
Registered
397 Posts
You're definitely not the only one. My advice is don't use the spoiler to open/close the trunk. I use the license plate area for both open and close. If you have a good relationship with your dealer, they might help you out if you ask nicely.

·
Registered
197 Posts
This morning went to open the trunk on my gxp and the spoiler came off. Has anyone else had this problem? The design looks weak it broke all the ribs that attached to the metal frame. This car has been in a garage its whole life, never driven in bad weather with only 23000 miles. GM wants $475 without paint new.
Dude not to worry. Forget. New spoiler and paint. The same thing happened to mine when I was stuck in ice. Guys came over to push car by spoiler and snapped it off. I am an avid boater with a 37 foot Bertram Sportfishing boat, so I repair lots of things like this. I used Marine-Tex Grey, it is prefabricated metal and has a tensile strength of 15,000 pounds per square inch. I put it on each support for spoiler and placed spoiler in position with some lead weight on top and let it sit overnight and it is fixed and probably stronger than new. Check any marine supply company or just google Marine-Tex. but make sure you get the grey and not the white. The gray is much ,much stronger. Good luck

·
Registered
158 Posts
Mine is starting to lift off the frame on the left side. Also an always garaged car with low mileage. Should I just pull the whole thing off and buy new clips? Are new clips even a separate part or do I have to replace the entire spoiler?

·
Registered
11 Posts
This happened to mine when I took it off to paint. Just remove the lower bracket patience is key and they use a bond like jb weld and order the 5 new clips they come in white now not yellow they were 10 dollars.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
This happened to mine when I took it off to paint. Just remove the lower bracket patience is key and they use a bond like jb weld and order the 5 new clips they come in white now not yellow they were 10 dollars.
P/N 25724529 is the listed part number but they're white.

The correct parts, which are yellow with the foam circle padding (original padding will be damaged or flattened over the years), is P/N 5480852 or Dorman P/N 700-058.

The clips are identical aside from the difference in color and the foam circle. First row, second and third column in the image below.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thanks for the update! I think I got the correct clips, just waiting for my MM spoiler...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts