Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I guess I'll just get straight to the point. Was changing my evap canister on my 09 G8 gt. Was reading that you can drop the rear subframe a couple of inches to get to it. Needless to say that's what I did. After replacing the canister I went a head and put the rear sub frame back up. Got all three bolts tighten up and at the last one it decided to snap on me... so my question is do you have to completely drop the rear subframe to easy out this bolt? Any step by step directions would be highly appreciated thanks for any help with getting this thing out.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I remember buying new bolts, but can't remember if I actually used them or not... anyway...

I don't envy your position. Me, I'd probably nurse it to a shop and have them do it. And replace the others with new as well, if you don't feel like getting under it again.

·
Premium Member
4,526 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I remember buying new bolts, but can't remember if I actually used them or not... anyway...

I don't envy your position. Me, I'd probably nurse it to a shop and have them do it. And replace the others with new as well, if you don't feel like getting under it again.
I've asked shops for quotes but they keep telling me they can't give me an exact qoute as they don't know how long itll take to remove. Witch is understandable. But what would a ball park range be for removing them and putting new ones in? Including extracting the broken bolt as well. Idk if itd take a shop 3 or 10 hours.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Broken cradle bolts are so 2010 - mapp gas heat, left hand drill will likely walk it out. May have to easy-out. Use the heat to loosen/melt the factory loctite.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Broken cradle bolts are so 2010 - mapp gas heat, left hand drill will likely walk it out. May have to easy-out. Use the heat to loosen/melt the factory loctite.

I guess my real question is will you have to drop the rear crossmember completely? Or is there a way of avoiding that?

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I think it's been done without dropping the cradle out of the way. I guess it would depend on the expertise of the person. It's been talked about here a few years back, if you dig through the search.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I did mine with cradle in place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts