Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a that bought a set of arp wheel studs for his g8. He dont get on here so that's why I'm asking. How do you take the wheel studs off the rear?

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
All the cars I've ever seen you just knock them out from the front then slip the new ones in from the rear hit with WD40 and just use the lug nut to pull the new ones thru. Sometimes you need to find a notch or access hole but the G8 shouldn't be any different.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
not these cars :( YOu have to removed just about everything. will not allow the traditional knock out route

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Ok I was just looking at the rear about 2 hours ago and I swear it looks like if you pull the caliper, rotor, and parking brake shoe's the studs should be able to be knocked out and the new ones put in. Are you guys sure? I mean I haven't had to do any yet (knocks on wood) but I it looks like you can get to em.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Hub has to come off. I have a broken stud and not changing it yet because of that fact. GM service manual has it coming off as well.

Sent from my EVO 3D

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Screw that crap! What about drilling a hole thru the backing plate as an access hole? Just get some rubber plugs size them up and drill thru. Then after your done stick the rubber plug in. TA DA now you can knock them thru the access hole and put in the new ones any time you like! I'll be DAMNED if I'm gonna pull the hub to put studs in f--k that s--t! Feel free to use my idea.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Screw that crap! What about drilling a hole thru the backing plate as an access hole? Just get some rubber plugs size them up and drill thru. Then after your done stick the rubber plug in. TA DA now you can knock them thru the access hole and put in the new ones any time you like! I'll be DAMNED if I'm gonna pull the hub to put studs in f--k that s--t! Feel free to use my idea.
did you ever try this?

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Its not that hard. I did my studs on the car, we did Lennys car as well. We didnt have to remove anything but the wheels and brakes.

I only had to pull the hub when I replaced the wheel bearing.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Its not that hard. I did my studs on the car, we did Lennys car as well. We didnt have to remove anything but the wheels and brakes.

guess i will have to take another look. what wheel stud part number did you use for front and rear?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

On the REAR? You can't put in new studs unless you remove all the ebrake stuff along with shield unless you discovered some secret.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Either have to delete all the Ebrake stuff or get the hub pressed off the spindle.
You do have to remove the e-brake shoe which is easy, also goes back on easy. However I had a problem with the ebrake at the track, I think a hard launch dislodged the shoe since it only sits in there with spring tension. It then rubbed against the back of the hub making quite a noise. At that point I removed it to aviod future issues.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
guess i will have to take another look. what wheel stud part number did you use for front and rear?
I used the Moroso studs from Jegs. I pulled the front hubs since they are only held on with three allen head bolts. Just used locktite to put them back on after pressing in the studs.

·
Facebook Moderator
1,452 Posts
I'm about to tackle this...
Scared after I read this.. any tips?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Hmmmmm

1 - 20 of 35 Posts