Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, on my way home from work yesterday, while sitting at a stop light waiting to turn left, all of a sudden the dashboard turned off, the a/c turned off, the radio turned off, the turn signal went dark, and the radio displayed the message saying something like "system locked out - data mismatch".

Then the fuel went to E, RPMs flatlined to 0, speedo to 0, temp guage to 0 followed finally by a red 'X' in the information screen on the dash with the message "Contact Dealer." :(

Luckily the motor stayed on and didn't sound/feel any different, and i was only 5 min from home. Pulled in, re-started car a couple times with varying levels of chaotic dash lights screaming at me before I finally called the dealer.

Drove it up there to drop off. On the drive, I no longer had the red X and the electronics were working...intermittenly. The turn signal and the airbag lights were going on and off and at one point the RPMs, at idle, jumped around between 1k and 1.3k.

The dealer is going to look at it this morning and call me. I'm praying it is not something catastrophic:(

I'll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I remember reading somewhere about a similar problem... It was either the ECM or BCM and the person needed a new one. Or was it the connections went bad? I forget.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The service advisor mentioned that it was most likely either a loose connection or an issue with either control module. His reasoning was with all of the warning lights and electrical failure that was occurring, the chances of all of those things going wrong at the exact same time was slim to none.

How much would a new CM run and would that typically be covered by a B2B extended warranty?

Just waiting for the call...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Was it raining or had you just washed it? Shane told me about some issues he had with his. Something about water getting onto the backside of the fuse block wiring harness?? Maybe he will chime in

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No it wasn't raining and last time I washed it was over the 4th weekend.

I called the dealer after work, since I hadn't heard anything, and they said the tech was still working on it. The service manager said that the car threw 9 codes and the tech was tracing each one.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Subscribed.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had that happen once right after I put some gas in. At the next town I filled it it up and after a second start everything came back. That was 2 years ago and no problem since.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update:

gjk, sounds like that might be my case. Spoke with the service advisor just now and he said there was an open recall for my vehicle for the safety module - I'm assuming the AIR BAGS:FRONTAL:SENSOR/CONTROL MODULE with the fix of: GM dealers will reprogram the sensing and diagnostic module free of charge. I got this notice before I moved a while ago, proceeded to lose it, then forgot about it.

He said they performed the recall first and that solved everything else. He said after the recall they were unable to duplicate any of the issues that I had gone over with him and he had documented when I dropped it off on Tuesday night (for them to start work on Wednesday morning).

He said that they want to keep it just one more night/day and see if anything rears its head or any issues show up again, so hopefully I will pick it up tomorrow night after work. He said as long as nothing pops up, that it will just be the recall work and he wouldn't make me pay the diagnostic fee ($130 or something). So that's nice.

I don't know how if I feel totally comfortable though. Of course the car wouldn't show any of those signs of complete failure after the recall so there's nothing for them to do, but I'm praying it doesn't happen again somewhere down the road.

Aye yi yi.

I'll update once more tomorrow evening with the final result.

Ryan

·
Premium Member
4,324 Posts
At the moment, it sounds like a PFM incident. I haven't had the bag timing recall performed yet either, and I've never seen the big X. But if it ends up being resolved, fantastic.

·
Registered
241 Posts
At the moment, it sounds like a PFM incident. I haven't had the bag timing recall performed yet either, and I've never seen the big X. But if it ends up being resolved, fantastic.
PFM incident??

·
Offshore Prositute
756 Posts
i am guessing pure F***ing magic

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Final Update:

Service manager called me and let me know the car is ready to be picked up (I'll go get her after work at 5). He said that they logged those initial 9 codes that I mentioned in an earlier post and then proceeded to troubleshoot.

They started by performing the recall like I mentioned, which cleared all of the codes as a side effect. After requesting to keep it overnight and for the day today, he had his tech start on it first thing this morning. They turned it on, test drove it for 2-3 miles, parked it and scanned it and there were 0 codes in the system. He then had the tech go through the entire car and inspect/re-secure all of the electronic connections just in case there were any loose connections and to look for any corrosion or rubbing in the wiring.

All dash lights/gauges work properly, radio works properly, HVAC system works, turn signals, everything. He then started it once more after a couple hours this morning and let it idle for about 15 minutes to see if maybe any temperature issues popped up and nothing, so that's good.

No charge for any of this time he and his tech spent the past 2.5 days which is also very nice.

I guess I feel a more comfortable then I did this time yesterday due to the extensive testing both under the hood and driving that he did. If anything was off (even un-related to this electronic issue) he would have caught it.

Watch, I pick it up this evening and PFM lights my life on fire again:us_flag:

Anyway, hopefully this is the last update for this issue. Thanks guys for all the feedback!

Ryan

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ugh. Well, picked the car up, walked around it with the manager. All good. He explained again everything they did (what I explained to you guys above) pointing out everywhere they secured connections etc. Cool.

Drive home, feels fine, no chaos of lights.

Head out to the store to pick up some beer and brats and 5 minutes down the road, the airbag light dings and starts flashing at me on the info center screen.

Awesome. Pretty sure I cursed myself earlier this afternoon when I said PFM would light my life on fire.

I feel like we're chasing gremlins at this point. What could it possibly be? Dealership is closed now (close at 6). This is unreal.

·
Offshore Prositute
756 Posts
that airbag ding is from the recall, they didn't finish it properly, it is a simple fix

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Hang in there man.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts