Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably a stupid question, but if I remove all my door handles so I can paint the chrome trim, I won't be able to open the doors right? I know that seems like common sense, but I didnt know if there was some alternate method of getting the door open without the handle on it. I wanted to do them all at once, but not leave the windows down if I dont have to.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thats a valid question if you gona do all 4 at once, what tipe of paint are you going with that needs that long to dry? even if you bake'm thats no more then 12hours

·
Registered
371 Posts
Well you have a few options.

Fold the back seat down and you can go through the trunk.

Leave your windows down

Break into the car

Leave the window cracked so it is super easy to break into the car.

I'm sure there may be some way to open it using the same mechanism as the door handle does once the handle is removed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
203 Posts
There is a lever inside the door handle hole. Stick your index finger in the hole that the lock cylinder comes out of, the lever will be to the left pull the lever towards you. The door will open.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats a valid question if you gona do all 4 at once, what tipe of paint are you going with that needs that long to dry? even if you bake'm thats no more then 12hours
Im just going to use the Duplicolor Trim Paint with their Adhesion Promoter. I used it on my door trim and it's held up pretty well, so I wanted to give it a shot on the handles. I cant stand the chrome, so I figured I would try this before ordering some non-chrome handles from GM.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a lever inside the door handle hole. Stick your index finger in the hole that the lock cylinder comes out of, the lever will be to the left pull the lever towards you. The door will open.
Thank you! That's the info I was looking for.

·
Registered
228 Posts
This is next on my things to do. What have others used for paint? Plasti-dip?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
This is next on my things to do. What have others used for paint? Plasti-dip?
I would not recommend plasti dip for the handles. It seems the plasti dip doesn't hold up very well with constantly having your hand and the oils from your hand always on it. I'd have to plasti dip my drivers door handle every three months or so. I ended up using duplicolor trim paint for all my chrome trim. It's held up very well on the handles. The trim paint will give it a satin/semi gloss finish. Just like OEM trim.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
203 Posts
Scuff the heck out of the chrome with a gray scotchbrite, to help the paint adhere. I would also recommend some sort of adhesion promoter. I know of a brand called Bulldog that works really well. It comes in a spray can form also. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Cool. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Since we're on the topic of door handles, do the painted inserts pop out or am I better off masking them off?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts