Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble with my remote start.

I found the following on another post.

Conditions in which remote start will not work;
The vehicle's key is in the ignition
The vehicle's hood or doors are not closed.
The hazard or warning flashers are on.
There is an emissions control system malfunction.
The engine's coolant temperature is too high.
The oil pressure is low.
Two remote vehicle starts have already been used. The maximum number of remote starts or remote start attempts between ignition cycles with the key is two.
The vehicle is not in park.

I saw something a few months ago about a problem with the hood latch switch/relay? Something about jumping past the hood latch? Anyone have something on this? I looked through the forum but, I guess I am using the wrong key words.

Thanks..

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
At the forward top center area of the radiator is a 3 pin connector. That is the connecting location of the hood latch sensor to the main wiring harness. If you think that sensor might be the problem, you can eliminate or verify it by disconnecting that connector, an install a jump wire from the purple to black wires. Make sure your doing this to the connector half going back into the engine bay.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If you open your hood after a remote start your car will turn off.

I guess this is an anti theft device....my Camaro does it too.

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks GOPHERIT.

Just trying to start it with the hood closed 102SSRS.

Appreciate the comments folks.

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT
479 Posts
Not trying to be smart or anything, but after doing your DOD did you remember to plug in everything.

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think so. I didn't have anything loose that I could find.

Update on the remote start. I was able to get it to remote start when I stood close to the passenger door and held the button down. The car started. This was about an hour ago. I am using a new key fob I bought in January 2021 when I bought the car. It should have come with a new battery, you would think. I'll change the battery tomorrow to see if that solves the distance issue, if you will.

I'll report back after I change the key fob battery.

Thanks for the question anyway Hot Rod. I did look around as I went o try and make sure I left nothing disconnected.

Reactions: Hot Rod

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I didn't replace the battery today. I can't figure out how to get the key fob apart. Sad, I know. I'll take it to the locksmith where I bought it on Monday.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ha! Thanks. I got the first two pieces apart but was afraid I would break it taking the last two apart. Going to try this now.

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks vegas_ss, got the battery changed.

I'm in Virginia so it is dark here right now. Walked up behind the car, held the remote start button down and no start. Looked in the back window at the dash and the center console was lit with odometer info. Just before it went out, I saw the door open indicator flashing to the left of it. Unlocked the car, went around and, opened and closed all the doors. Looked thru the back window, the center console was lit and just before it went out, the door open indicator started flashing again. Guess I got a door switch issue? Is the hood switch tied into this one as well?

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Not sure on the door and hood open warning wiring but makes sense that may be your issue although I'm not sure why it worked when you were standing next to the passenger door? If you unlock the doors does the door open light illuminate? I would think your alarm would be triggered (or not set) if a door open was indicated?

I have a manual transmission so no remote start to compare ;)

·
Premium Member
8,252 Posts
... Guess I got a door switch issue? Is the hood switch tied into this one as well?
When the lock button is pressed, does the horn chirp several times? If so, try lubricating the door latch portion of each lock actuator. Then, open and close each door several times. The door ajar switch is incorporated into the door lock actuator assembly. The hood and door switches should be on separate circuits.

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With the car unlocked, I press the door lock button on the key fob. The car locks. I then push it a second time and it chirps one time. I tried pressing the remote start button and nothing. I can see the console lit up and the door ajar indicator flashing. I'll try lubricating the doors and report back..

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
I've never seen the "door ajar" symbol flash. I think it only illuminates a continuous icon display if any of the 4 doors latching switch malfunctioned. I also get the door ajar light if the trunk latch has been tripped. I think only the mid year 09' GT an GXP's came wired up to display that however. Are you sure your not confusing the flashing theft protection icon with the door ajar icon ?

What's the reason for hitting the door lock button on the fob 2 times prior to pressing an holding the remote start button ? You only need to hit it once, an then go for the remote start. I can see the reasoning for the lock button press. If the car was unlocked at the time you choose to go for a remote start, that action would lock the doors as required for the start. If it was already locked, the circuit must be designed in such a way as to insure that a door locking command action took place (which verifies that all 4 doors were or are locked correctly) before allowing a for a remote start.

As a side note, hitting a lock button a second time (like my wife does), produces a horn chirp. Its her verification that the 4 doors lock as intended.

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Guess I am like your wife from that aspect. I use it as confirmation.

·
Premium Member
8,252 Posts
For what it's worth,

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Since it works when you stand by the passenger door (does it still?), I would think it is more of a reception issue?? Do the door locks work from the same distance as always? Some info on extending the range...

Remote start range

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You know, it did start that one day while standing beside the passenger door but, not again since. I would say the doors lock from 25-30 foot... Don't know that I have tried it further.

Changed the battery in the key fob to a brand new Duracell.

Lubricated the door locks from the inside and outside. Pulled each handle from the outside about 20 times, then opened and closed the door about 20 times.

Nothing.

I am going to try sitting in the car, locking the doors with the key fob and then try a remote start. Need to check GOPHERIT's query above in post 14, am I looking at the wrong light?

I may also go ahead and do the fix stated by GOPHERIT in post 2.

·
Premium Member
8,252 Posts
Does the alarm randomly go off? Since the door locks work from 25-30 feet away so should the remote start. As mentioned above, the door ajar symbol does not while the anti-theft symbol does flash/blink. When the car remote started did it shut off immediately or run for the full predetermined amount of time?

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The alarm has not gone off at all... It is probably the anti-theft light blinking after all. I still need to verify, which I will do in the next hour.

The car did continue to run when remote started. I got in, and shut if off with the key within 3-5 minutes.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts