Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody found a way to extend the range of their remote? I used speaker wire down the driver side but is didn't help that much. Is there a wire that could be used as a good antenna?

·
female, no 'bro'
295 Posts
damn, i'll have to look into this. I am so pissed on how low the range is for my remote start. I have to be like right next to my car to use the remote! I got so pissed when i brought it to the dealer one time and mentioned how I have to be right next to my car to start it. And they did it , or so they claimed to have done it while the car was down to the other end of the service bay.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
My Base had good range on her,but Casper's not to good.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i got tired of virtually no remote start so i bought a compustar pro 901 ss remote start. theoretically range of up to a mile. I have started it from 4 blocks away. (the car was blocked by a church and several houses, it was quite impressive.)

·
Mack
1,000 Posts
I just swapped out the back portion of my remote last Friday and it improved the range a good bit. Also feels 100% better as my crappy buttons were pretty worn down. Only cost me $30 and was well worth it. I know you can get them cheaper at other sources too but I was there and just wanted to get it done. Good luck!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
The GM advanced two way start worked great for improving my range, and was just over 100$. I can start it from anywhere in the house now. Its nice because it tells you when your car starts, if your doors are locked or unlocked, and if your tires are low.

·
Registered
682 Posts
The GM advanced two way start worked great for improving my range, and was just over 100$. I can start it from anywhere in the house now. Its nice because it tells you when your car starts, if your doors are locked or unlocked, and if your tires are low.

Is this the unit PACE has for about $140?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just swapped out the back portion of my remote last Friday and it improved the range a good bit. Also feels 100% better as my crappy buttons were pretty worn down. Only cost me $30 and was well worth it. I know you can get them cheaper at other sources too but I was there and just wanted to get it done. Good luck!!
$30?? Where did you find it for that price

·
Registered
682 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Is this the unit PACE has for about $140?
Yeah, thats the one. GM parts giant has it for $125. The unit does have to be programmed by the dealer though, which i think cost me an extra $60.

·
G8 fiend
1,245 Posts
its funny how the range varies when i bought the extender i walked out 300 feet and wrked no problem but when it came to the sides or the rear it was more like 30-100 feet the next thing imma try is that speaker wire since i have bout 100feet of it i can cover my whole roof lol other than goin for a new starter or security system this may be the best bang for the buck and ez to do if it wasnt for the flip key all in one i would install my old viper 2way system

·
Premium Member
7,368 Posts
$30?? Where did you find it for that price
Go to Pace Performance. com. Click on Pontiac G8 stuff (right). Scroll down to miscellaneous. Click on miscellaneous. Ebay may have some pieces as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Alright, will give this a try whenever the current battery runs down.
I would suggest buying a new battery now. I don't think in this case it's an all or nothing kind of function. Based on my car and my wifes, the remote will work at a decreased distance for a long time with a weaker battery. Try a new one and see if the range gets better. Worse that could happen is you'll have an extra.

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts
I installed a new alarm system with 1 mile long range. I now can started it from the 2nd floor parking garage from my apartment on the 4th floor. So, 5 - 6 floors away and in a basement style garage. It's also nice because I receive messages if someone is trying to break into it.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
damn, i'll have to look into this. I am so pissed on how low the range is for my remote start. I have to be like right next to my car to use the remote! I got so pissed when i brought it to the dealer one time and mentioned how I have to be right next to my car to start it. And they did it , or so they claimed to have done it while the car was down to the other end of the service bay.
Here is a trick for you; saw that on Top Gear.
Jeremy Clarkson said and proved that if you take the remote/key fob, touch your forehead with it and push the buttons the range increase by more than 2 fold. I tried with the G8 and really works ! The wife tried the idea with the garage door and works too.

Do not know why or how does but it does.

Will be surprised how well works with the G8 and cost nothing.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I would suggest buying a new battery now. I don't think in this case it's an all or nothing kind of function. Based on my car and my wifes, the remote will work at a decreased distance for a long time with a weaker battery. Try a new one and see if the range gets better. Worse that could happen is you'll have an extra.
I would suggest buying a new battery now, too…
However, I suggest not just new battery, but different battery and 2 instead of 1… witch will increase voltage of your remote from 3V to 6V …
It’s a $3 upgrade …

·
Registered
23 Posts
I did the speaker wire mod and it increased my range a bit. But I noticed something odd. It seems there is a lock out.

I've done this standing still and also while approaching the car. I can lock the car, but when I hold the remote starter, nothing happens. I then try to lock or unlock and nothing happens.

When not moving, after a bit I can lock the car again, but it will still not remote start.

When approaching, it will not lock or unlock until I am very close. I can then unlock, lock and then remote start when I am within a few feet.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts