Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
GXPanther
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dealership told me my ABS module was bad and it needed to be replaced at the tune of $1200.

HA!

I bought one on ebay for $100, but before it arrived I resolved my issue with a .99cent fuse. Dealership FAIL

before buying the ABS module I removed mine to ensure i could do it myself without any issue. I used a 4mm socket and removed the 4 bolts holding the black plastic ABS from the metal distribution block. It had a sealing ring to keep it clean on the inside and i put it all back without letting anything get contaminated in there.

my question is: do i have anything to worry about from having opened that up? it all looked like very sensitive hardware.

the new unit arrived today with the distribution block and black plastic ABS module assembled as one.

anybody want an ABS module? i'll be letting it go cheap.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Wow, big time dealer fail! If you've put everything together and haven't thrown any codes, I'd say you're good to go, but might want to hang to the new module in case anything arises.

·
Premium Member
4,524 Posts
Here's the way they talk about it. (1)-- If something had been bad with that module (black section), or thought to be bad, what you did was *good*. (2)--If under warranty, they are told to replace the whole thing (module and ,modulator) as an assy. (3)---If after warranty, they would replace the faulty portion *only*. They say the 4 screws, are one time only use type. Your pick on that one. I'm sure that relates to the use of loctite on the threads. They say you *cannot* buy the parting gasket/seal between the 2 parts. It does not exist at this time per the service manual. If bad, you are supposed to replace the whole thing. They *do say to reuse the same gasket/seal* if *no* damage is present. just verify that it is clean of debris prior to install.
Sounds like you have a *valuable* spare part there if needed.

·
GXPanther
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LDM on the other board came of with the torque specs for those bolts

71 in-lb or 8 N-m

thanks guys

·
GXPanther
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WTF!

either my torque wrench is crap or 71 in-lb is way too much. i just broke the bolt off in the distribution block.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Bringing this thread back to life as I currently have an ABS/stability control error. Since it only pops up once I lose traction (spinning or ABS braking scenario), I assume it's probably not a speed sensor and is likely a problem with the module itself. Would you mind telling me which fuse you found blown? That'll be the first thing I'll check, along with the actual stored code tonight. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,524 Posts
^^^^ That fuse he replaced was F1-10A (COMM ENABLE) in the under hood fuse box. But he had the ABS, T/C, and BRAKE icons illuminated at ignition turn on. Sounds like yours is an *IN MOTION* type of problem.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Yeah, mine is sometimes briefly on when I first turn the key, but is then off until I first lose traction, at which point it goes crazy. I'll be checking out the code tonight to see what it says. I'm still hoping for a simple speed sensor issue, but I'm mentally preparing to deal with a more significant issue.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
It turns out it's a left rear sensor problem according to the code. I checked the connector at the wheel and it looks fine, so I'll be checking the connector at the other end of the harness sometime in the next few days.

·
One fast 4 door
220 Posts
Sub

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I found and fixed the problem with mine. It was a broken wire at the frame rail connector:

·
One of them OGOC folks
337 Posts
I found and fixed the problem with mine. It was a broken wire at the frame rail connector:

Had one at work the other day, exact same problem in the exact same spot. New harness was surprisingly not as expensive as I expected, customer still declined.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts