Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to remove and replace the arrowhead on the front of my 09 GT, thanks to a gravel truck throwing a small rock up into the center plastic part and cracking it badly. :( I did do some searching on this topic but found some conflicting post so I'm asking: are there any post(s) on the back of the emblem and if so are there any clips or nuts holding it all down? I'm somewhat experienced at removing badges and occasionally putting new/different ones on but am hoping that IF there are post on the back that they aren't bolted down since getting to that area would be a real bitch.

·
Registered
648 Posts
There are 3 posts. 2 at the top, 1 at the bottom. There are no fasteners though. The emblem is just held on with mounting tape. A little heat (heat gun, hair dryer), and it should come off decently easy.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are 3 posts. 2 at the top, 1 at the bottom. There are no fasteners though. The emblem is just held on with mounting tape. A little heat (heat gun, hair dryer), and it should come off decently easy.
Thanks for the reply; sounds promising. Anyone else have a different experience? I'm asking because I heard something about 08 and 09 being a little different on the back. The replacement one I'll be putting on has no post but is otherwise identical so maybe it's aftermarket (I'm getting from another local G8 guy) but I'm pretty good at applying new double-sided tape so I'm not worried about that.

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
Opted for a hair dryer over a heat gun due to the lower temperature of heat produced and the decreased likelihood of something melting or burning. Debaged the G8 shortly after making a few payments and nothing stood out regarding difficulty with removing any of the emblems or chicklets.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
The IPC shows that *all* G8's use the same arrow. I do know that new ones came with locating pins on the backside to insert into matching holes in the fascia. Wouldn't surprise me to find that a used OEM arrow (removed by a previous owner) ended up shearing off the plastic locating pins. Considering how good the double sided tape is nowadays, I don't see a problem installing it with just the tape. Adhering it in just the right up/down, left/right, an tilt location might be the hardest part.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I took my stock dart off and put a TTS dart on. Early '09, it had the three pins. I used a hair dryer, nylon monofilament line (fishing line) and a plastic putty knife/spatula. Before you remove it, take some masking tape and line up with the sides of the arrowhead, or you won't have the vertical center of the arrowhead. The TTS dart is, like, a 16th bigger so I moved it up, almost until the two upper holes were seen to get it to look right.

·
Registered
31 Posts
yeah...take your time. I pushed mine out from the back and over stressed it and started to crack the point. There's a lot of double sided foam adhesive material under there. A hair dryer or maybe some goof off could have loosened things up. I like that fishing line filament trick. Seems promising! A replacement is like +$90 and a little hard to find!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts