Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang , need to seal my scoops so they don't leak water into the bay . I am to understand that they are held on by clips ? How do you get them out and how long to do it ? I might have it done by a body shop just in case I make a mistake and damage the clips or the paint. I got the orssom intake and they require you to use a marine sealant. I tried to remove the plugs and just reach up where I saw daylight and applied the marine sealant. Oh and I did get a removable sealant. So my errors can be corrected. I thought of just sealing the holes under the hood where the plugs go .there non functional anyways, maybe a little air could get through but with the orssom just eating air ,it doesn't suck air ,it eats air lol ,I should be fine ,plus I removed the weather strip (orssom suggested to cut a section or just remove) ,I think I'd get what air I'd lose from the scoops back . The body shop wants 50 bucks to do it but if its easy enough I'll save the 50 and do it myself.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I thought they weren't open. Just add some sealant around whats there.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can see gaps in between the scoop and the hood .I tried the just looking to see what I could but that wasn't good enough. Emailed orssom and they said to remove and seal .

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
If it were my car I'd remove the scoops and seal the intake part/honeycomb from the back side with RTV then reinstall them and use clear RTV to seal the crack between the scoops and the hood making sure its down in the crack far enough so as to not be seen unless you really get up on it looking for it. That way the hood would be water proof over that intake.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Pop the hood, take the rubber cover off the under side, then the actual scoops are pressed in with a pressure retainer.If i remember right i didn't need anything other then a pry tool.
Be very careful because they pop out with some spring and one slid down my hood and scratched my hood. Luckily i was painting it!

It takes like 2 min

·
Super Moderator
4,913 Posts
What ^^he^^ said. If you go out to the car and just look at it and try to take them off the whole things becomes pretty apparent.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. Guys . Still unsure if I wanna try this myself.

Hey jack , what is RTV? Unfamiliar with it .

·
Registered
197 Posts
Removing the scoops is easy, and to avoid the sliding down the hood issue with the hood up, try the following. Get a microfiber towel and someone with small/thin fingers. Cover said finger in the towel, top and bottom, like a wrap. With the hood down, in its normal position, slide fingers under the hood scoops. There is a small gap. As you work under the scoop will pop upwards. Just work the fingers around until its free. Will not scratch, and will work. Did this so I could plastidip the scoops.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'll look into that route ,see if I feel confident in it . If I do this myself ,I gotta figure out how to remove the sealant I already applied. Guy I store didnt elaborate but promised me it is removable. It hardens like rubber

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not that exact brand but sounds like it does the same thing .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts