Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People who did this with just jack stands have any tricks? I can the bottom bolts out no problem, but the top two don't want to budge and I feel like I can't get enough leverage on them. Going to soak them in WD40 next. Any other ideas?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Leave the bottom one in and loosen the top one. You may be binding the top bolt, adding unwanted pressure.
Need to remove bolts at same time/back and forth to prevent binding.

Oh, and PB Blaster all the way. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Leave the bottom one in and loosen the top one. You may be binding the top bolt, adding unwanted pressure.
Need to remove bolts at same time/back and forth to prevent binding.

Oh, and PB Blaster all the way. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Thanks I can't believe I didn't think of that

·
Registered
71 Posts
I did mine without the jack stands, I think the other posts are correct. Bolts probably in a bind but soaking them overnight won't hurt.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You should try this stuff called mouse milk... one of our Maintenance Techs handed me a bottle of it to break loose some rusted, coolant crusted, bolts... I was impressed... I think it's better than PB, but that's just my opinion...

http://www.mousemilk.com/

Disclaimer: This is not an ad, just an opinion...

Later,
Tom Slick

·
Fort Worth, TX
170 Posts
I've taken off the stockers, put on Solos, taken off Solos, put stockers on, taken stockers off, putMagnaflows on, taken Magnaflows off, put Solos on. All without jack stands or manuevering the car in any way. I am big in all the wrong places too. Always loosen and/or remove the hardest to reach bolt first.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I didn't even use jack stands. Hit the bolts with a little WD-40 and wrench them off. Gotta put a little arm power into it. Try the two wrench trick if you can't bust them loose.

·
Registered
788 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
When I removed mine the bolts just snapped. Just gotta put some more muscle in it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I backed mine onto some ramps to get some extra lift. This is a very BAD idea. It took me 3 tries to get the car on the ramps. The first 2 it fired one of the ramps under the car!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
2009.1 Liquid Red G8 GT
352 Posts
I backed mine onto some ramps to get some extra lift. This is a very BAD idea. It took me 3 tries to get the car on the ramps. The first 2 it fired one of the ramps under the car!

I have a couple short pieces of 2x6 that i roll back on to, lifts the rear end just enough to give you more working room.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have a couple short pieces of 2x6 that i roll back on to, lifts the rear end just enough to give you more working room.
this. I made my own low-pro ramps out of 2x10's. I stacked them 3 layers high and made each one slightly shorter than the one below it. Works perfect for oil changes or I can back onto them and change axlebacks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I used a swivel socket to get mine off. No jack stands needed.

·
Registered
225 Posts
They are a royal b the first time. Soak in something first and let sit.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I ended up soaking the bolts in that PB Blaster stuff and it worked great. 3/4 broke free with no problem, but the drivers side top one was still a pain. Took some serious grunt to break that one free for some reason.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts