Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Infantry Sniper
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So none of us probably notice it much, but I did a few days ago and so did my girlfriend. That ugly yellow airbag warning sticker you see when you look up in your car. So I was bored today while my girlfriend was at work and decided to see how easy they would be to remove. I remember my mother's car had what seemed like to be painted on air bag warnings, but our cars are just a very sticky sticker.

As everything in the world, results may vary, but if you are bored or OCD about these kinds of things then this project is perfect for you, and extremely easy!

You will need:
GooGone
Iron

Step 1: Unscrew the screw and pull out the wire

Step 2: Use a small screwdriver or knife to detach the clip

Step 3: Use your fingernail, not a knife or razor blade, to pull up a corner of the sticker and then just peel it off. This prevents possibly cutting the thin fabric.

You will notice the white dried sticky stuff left behind

Step 4: Spray this with GooGone and let it sit for a couple of minutes

Step 5: Then get a paper town and fold it over and lay it down on the effected area and lay the iron on it on low setting for 2-5 minutes. Low is hot enough to lift the glue and GooGone into the papertowl but not burn the fabric.

You may have to repeat step 4 and 5 to make sure you get all of the glue.

Step 6: Reinstall and enjoy!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Good tip. I know I've seen it but can't for the life of me recall where it's located right now. I'll most likely find it and remove it now. Thanks again

·
Registered
590 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Awesome to know. Last time I helped a friend remove these, the only thing that would touch the glue was lighter fluid. He tried everything until we tried lighter fluid...

·
Infantry Sniper
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome to know. Last time I helped a friend remove these, the only thing that would touch the glue was lighter fluid. He tried everything until we tried lighter fluid...
I have never tried lighter fluid but even if that was the only thing that worked I wouldn't even attempt to remove the stickers because I don't want to be smelling lighter fluid for the next few months while driving the car. Goo Gone plant power doesnt leave an oder behind since it all gets absorbed into the paper towel.

·
09 LR G8 GXP 6M (#1420)
645 Posts
Nice writeup, OP.

Painter's tape also works well (repeatly sticking/unsticking) and you don't even have to remove the visors. But I think this only works if your car is new like mine was when I did it. ;)

I also removed the round sticker on the side of the dash that stares you in the face when you open the passenger door - you can barely see it here:

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have never tried lighter fluid but even if that was the only thing that worked I wouldn't even attempt to remove the stickers because I don't want to be smelling lighter fluid for the next few months while driving the car. Goo Gone plant power doesnt leave an oder behind since it all gets absorbed into the paper towel.
Thats what he wanted to try and it ended up working. IIRC he hit it with goo gone or something after the lighter fluid and it ended up taking out any residual smell.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Nice write up...got rid of them stickers a couple years ago..lol glad I'm not the only one that hated them..

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
I did this right after I removed the Pontiac from my rear lid.
The sooner you remove the sticker(s) on a new vehicle, the easier it is.

Pro Tip:

Heat the stickers up with a hair dryer (not too much, don't melt them).
Slowly lift the warmed sticker up off the material.
If any residue is remaining, use some WD-40 (personal choice) to remove.

I didn't need to remove my visors for this.
I do like the smell of WD-40, but it dissipated almost immediately.

Dissipated? Did I use that correctly? lol

·
Infantry Sniper
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is like the dude who came up with sliced bread! This is not only an awesome idea its something I'll be doing my next day off!

Mods we need a "LIKE" button!
Haha thanks. I am glad so many people have found this useful so far.

I think I have used my mirror in my car on the visor like once since I have owned the car. And my girlfriend has only used it a few times to put on her makeup in the car during a long drive. But I am thinking about maybe taking apart the visor and replacing the very dim and ugly yellow lights for the mirror and replacing them with nice bright, white lights. I don't know, something on the table for when I am really bored and want to work on the car.

·
Mack
1,000 Posts
Awesome DIY! Thx for sharing bro.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Haha thanks. I am glad so many people have found this useful so far.

I think I have used my mirror in my car on the visor like once since I have owned the car. And my girlfriend has only used it a few times to put on her makeup in the car during a long drive. But I am thinking about maybe taking apart the visor and replacing the very dim and ugly yellow lights for the mirror and replacing them with nice bright, white lights. I don't know, something on the table for when I am really bored and want to work on the car.
I havent looked but do you know what size bulbs they take? Ive been wanting to do the same since my fiance uses the pass side mirror alot.

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Thanks!

·
OlderByTheMinute
673 Posts
So none of us probably notice it much, but I did a few days ago and so did my girlfriend. That ugly yellow airbag warning sticker you see when you look up in your car. So I was bored today while my girlfriend was at work and decided to see how easy they would be to remove. I remember my mother's car had what seemed like to be painted on air bag warnings, but our cars are just a very sticky sticker.

As everything in the world, results may vary, but if you are bored or OCD about these kinds of things then this project is perfect for you, and extremely easy!

You will need:
GooGone
Iron

Step 1: Unscrew the screw and pull out the wire

Step 2: Use a small screwdriver or knife to detach the clip

Step 3: Use your fingernail, not a knife or razor blade, to pull up a corner of the sticker and then just peel it off. This prevents possibly cutting the thin fabric.

You will notice the white dried sticky stuff left behind

Step 4: Spray this with GooGone and let it sit for a couple of minutes

Step 5: Then get a paper town and fold it over and lay it down on the effected area and lay the iron on it on low setting for 2-5 minutes. Low is hot enough to lift the glue and GooGone into the papertowl but not burn the fabric.

You may have to repeat step 4 and 5 to make sure you get all of the glue.

Step 6: Reinstall and enjoy!

Ok Nuke, did mine about 2 yrs ago. Spent about 6 hrs on mine. Did
the GOO Gone and 3 other remedies and they look pretty good!
Thought about ordering new ones but was informed that they
would come with the same stickers( Legal team I suspect).
It was worth the effort, Brian from "Planet Texas".

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.