Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently had my bumper repainted because of all the chips and scratches underneath (previous owner). My car is white hot so I know white is really hard to match. After looking at my bumper I felt like it wasnt a perfect match. I took it back to the paint shop and confronted them about this and they told me that since the bumper is plastic it would not look 100% perfect because the way the paint drys on plastic compared to metal. Which kinda makes sense since the side skirts and back bumper aren't 100% either. I don't know much about paint and was wondering if someone could help me out or give me an opinion? The shop warranties their work so I have no problem with going back in and telling them to re shoot it or ask for my money back. Here are the pics, they are kinda hard to tell but its all I have.
ALSO, i haven't waxed or polished bumper or rest of the car yet.

Front Shot:

Side Shot:

Other Side:

Front Again:

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Does appear to have a darker tint. As he said, it'll never be a perfect match. Wait for it to set and then give it a good clay bar, polish, and wax and then see.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
yes you can get a perfect match... plastic to metal
but, is really hard to match 100% perfect because the way the paint drys on plastic compared to metal...

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't know if the problem is specific to only certain colors and not mine, but I remember reading a similar thread about the PSM color. I had my new GXP bumper painted and a ding in my spoiler fixed and resprayed by a shop recommended by a friend who is very particular about car stuff like me. This shop paints Porsches and a bunch of other high end stuff. It took them a while to do the work (read almost a couple weeks) and it was more than I wanted to spend, but they got it PERFECT on the first try, no fender/hood blending either.

When I first took it to get an estimate for the work, their guy told me the car had a 3 stage paint. Not sure if this is true or applies to all the colors, but I know I can't tell the difference between their work and the panels surrounding the areas painted. Perhaps they took some extra step to keep the plastics and metals matching, not sure. If color is not a factor for the differences here then I can confirm that a perfect color match is possible.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Yeah it does look off. Almost seems shadowed. FWIW, I had mine painted a while back and it matched perfectly. Mines black though so maybe that makes a difference.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Also all modern car paints(clear coat) can change color (just a shade) during full drying/curing time

Also there are 2 stages of drying/curing

1 is catalytic reaction 30min to 3 days

2 is paint thinner evaporation 30-90 days

by the way, one color code doesn't mean one color variance. I know for a fact, G8 white in PPG system has 2 colors listed under the same color code...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info and help guys, I guess I will just wait it out and see what happens. I will most likely clay, polish and wax.

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
yes you can get a perfect match... plastic to metal
but, is really hard to match 100% perfect because the way the paint drys on plastic compared to metal...
This. Man I get sick of hearing excuses.

·
Registered
328 Posts
My G8 8 is Maverick Silver Metallic and I have put of a GXP fascia and had the rear bumper repainted. The were done a different times and match perfectly with no panel blending.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: Went back to the body shop and they wanted me to blend the panels, then they said that might not be a good idea (after i said i dont want to blend panels). They think that its the clear coat they used to why its not matching the rest of the car. They use DuPont paint? If anyone with paint experience or any kind of help would chime in that would be appreciated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts