Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Replace head unit with different used oem head unit

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  TechDog 
#1 ·
So my baby after 101,000 miles took a dash full of caramel macchiato not so long ago. Basically ruined the head unit. Buttons stick and dont work, it operates randomly and is pretty much toast. I have no interest in aftermarket. I just want another factory unit. But as ive been reading im just confused at what works and what doesnt, and what really needs to be done. Can someone provide facts on a stock swap like this? I have an early 08 GT. I see plenty of available head units on ebay under $100, some are from 09's, which im gathering dont work on the 08. I also am wondering what type of tech work is needed after the swap as far as programming goes for it to be fully functional as stock. I appreciate any help !

#2 ·
If you have the Blaupunkt stereo, it’s in 2 pieces. The face plate and the 2 din box.

this is the box In dash

replacing the face plate is in the $125 to $200 range

#4 ·
The faceplates have a pairing code to match with the head unit. The new faceplate will have to be reprogrammed to match yours. It's an easy process, I've done a few.

Reactions: GXP25
#5 ·
I just swapped out my Version 8 radio for a Version 9 I found on eBay by following a guide on this forum, (HOW TO Guide: DIY VIM unlock, enable factory reverse cam...). All the instructions for re-pairing the faceplate and VIN matching a new radio are in the guide, as well as a few more useful features. Unfortunately, his Google Drive links for the software don't work anymore, so I had to track down some generic drivers and I used AsProgrammer for the hex editor/programmer, the default setting for the IC 24C16 worked just fine.

#6 ·
I reread your first post, and after taking apart my radio last weekend, you could probably clean the button contacts and see if that helps before you spend money on a new radio faceplate. After taking the faceplate off, unscrew the back plate, disconnect one or two ribbon cables, pull off the volume and settings knobs, and gently ease it apart from the bottom. Just make sure you pull it apart with the SCREEN FACING DOWN, there are small plastic plungers for every button that will come spilling out onto the floor if you're not careful, speaking from experience😣. You will probably need to peel back the rubber membrane that covers the PCB and clean them both with rubbing alcohol. If you get the "Security Lockout" after reattaching the faceplate, cycling the key a few times should clear it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.