Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
CBR629
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a LS3 in my car with 10k on it and I got the 0340 code so I replaced the sensor with 2 BWD and then 2 GM and still get the same code! Car starts and runs fine and Ive tested the connector and I got 5 volts from A and C and a ground from B. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
have you verified that you have the correct cam sprocket?

·
Premium Member
4,370 Posts
You are saying that "this" engine "never" displayed this camshaft position sensor fault during all of its previous accumulated miles until now, correct ?

·
CBR629
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are saying that "this" engine "never" displayed this camshaft position sensor fault during all of its previous accumulated miles until now, correct ?
Right this is the 1st time in 10k miles. I got a GM crate engine after 180k on the last motor and never replaced that sensor

·
Premium Member
4,370 Posts
I'm guessing that your opting for a new ECM as a possible solution for that camshaft position sensor fault problem ? The amazing thing, is that the service manual seems to say that the car would normally default to the limp home mode of operation when that fault is present. But you say it continues to run just fine (so much for that printed information). They show a method of testing that sensor by quickly flashing a metal bar past the face of the sensor. That produces some type of digital response pulse from it. But it is saying that the GM scan tool would produce a display that would indicate that the ECM is seeing an recognizing those simulated pulses created. If there was a chance that some type of meter (attached to the sensing wire at that sensor connector) that could maybe show a voltage spike from each metal bar flash by, you could at least see if the sensor itself was creating the pulses back to the ECM. Going the ECM replacement route, may be your only option here. If it does indeed solve your problem, I hope you post up. Then I can learn something as a very iterested observer.

·
Premium Member
4,370 Posts
It says that this code is a B classified type of fault. In that it does not set the MIL light on the first start/run cycle (if for example you had performed a reset an were starting from a clean sheet so to speak). If the same condition happens again on the 2nd start/run cycle, it would command the MIL light on. Is that the way your fault condition is happening ?
Another thing it says, is that the cam position sensor wiring is susceptible to external electrical interference. If some circuit had wiring added (an its wiring happened to have been routed real near that camshaft wire looms routing), it could screw up camshaft sensors signal back to the ECM.(so it says). Kinda sounds like a reach as a possible cause.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts