Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to replace my windshield due to a crack. Had a local glass place replace the windshield with aftermarket one and now while driving i hear much more engine noise and alternator whine even Tranny downshifting in the cabin. The car was much quieter before this was done. Every time i step on the gas lightly i hear an engine roaring. Can anyone suggest what to do at this point. The glass place is saying this is the first time they hear this kind of issue. Does the factory glass have some kind if nose reduction components in it?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Most likely not sealing at the lower area, Turn the blower motor on full blast,close all windows and doors,then spray a solution of car wash/water solution all around windshield,Then look for Mr bubbles

·
Banned
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the adviece i will have them check for that on saturday. Also when i was driving i noticed cool breeze coming in to the car i guess that also means bad sealing?

·
lsgearhead
2,116 Posts
Probably gonna leak also if your getting that much noise thru the cowl.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Cheap glass...

A lot of the new oem shields have a sound deadener in them that the cheap aftermarket glass will not. Often when I call the glass company that we deal with they will give me the option of having the deadener or not.

Call another glass company & find out if there are different options. I cant remember the technical term for the deadener. I have been off work for a couple of weeks :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just replaced my windshield at the dealer due to delaminating and mine sounds just like before. I think it really is just a bad seal.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I just replaced my windshield at the dealer due to delaminating and mine sounds just like before. I think it really is just a bad seal.
As yours was done at no charge to you under warranty the dealer would have used OEM glass that had all the sound deadeners in it as well.

·
Registered
118 Posts
i just got a quote cuz my windshield cracked 2 weeks ago. the guy at safelight said it was an expensive windshield because of the sound deadener in them as said above. mine was quoted at 350, how much did u pay if u dont mind me asking?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
It still sounds like they didn't get it sealed right to me, and if it rains, you may not detect the leak right away but it sure will start to smell.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It is the glass. The OEM windshield is Saint Gobain Sekurit. Google them; they are big worldwide. If you look at the logo on the OEM part, you will see what looks like an ear. Thats right, an EAR! That is their mark for a type of windshield that is designed to be significantly quieter in operation. That is also why it is expensive!

You also could have an installation issue, but if the glass isn't this make/model you are louder no matter how good it is installed.

·
Registered
356 Posts
It's the glass, not the install. I had my windshield replaced under warranty and they would only use OEM glass because it has an acustical coating.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
It's the glass, not the install. I had my windshield replaced under warranty and they would only use OEM glass because it has an acustical coating.
They would also only use OEM glass because that is the only way GM will pay for the repair.

·
Registered
68 Posts
How bad was it delaminating? I noticed mine is delaminating in one of the top corners.

·
Flying the Pontiac Flag
554 Posts
It is the glass. The OEM windshield is Saint Gobain Sekurit. Google them; they are big worldwide. If you look at the logo on the OEM part, you will see what looks like an ear. Thats right, an EAR! That is their mark for a type of windshield that is designed to be significantly quieter in operation. That is also why it is expensive!

You also could have an installation issue, but if the glass isn't this make/model you are louder no matter how good it is installed.
I believe PSW also makes a replacement with what they call "Soundmaster" accoustic control. GM wants an arm and a leg for a replacement but Sekurit does make a replacement windshield directly. My guess is it's identical to the one sold by GM for less money.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
About this Discussion
39 Replies
20 Participants
Byoficr
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing