Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
It is the glass. The OEM windshield is Saint Gobain Sekurit. Google them; they are big worldwide. If you look at the logo on the OEM part, you will see what looks like an ear. Thats right, an EAR! That is their mark for a type of windshield that is designed to be significantly quieter in operation. That is also why it is expensive!

You also could have an installation issue, but if the glass isn't this make/model you are louder no matter how good it is installed.
Very good info here, thanks for sharing.

they resealed it last week and its still bad too much noise in the car
Escalate it up the food chain and tell them it's not right.

Did you verify that you see the "ear logo" in your replacement glass like sssmokin99 stated above?

• If so, have them remove the windshield and clean all the surfaces and re-seal it again. Do not settle until it's right.
  • If not (you have inferior glass that is not made by "Saint Gobain Sekurit") then you got what you paid for, as it probably doesn't have as much sound deadning material as what you were used to with the stock glass. Live and learn, there may not be anything else you can do now that it's installed, except be better prepared for next time on what to look for.
Good luck!

·
Banned
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The glass does not have the ear sign i will try to have them replaced with the right one since i have a glass coverage the insurance company will pay the bill

·
Registered
157 Posts
It will also say "SAINT GOBAIN SEKURIT" in addition to the little ear, lol. Passenger side lower corner.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I believe PSW also makes a replacement with what they call "Soundmaster" accoustic control. GM wants an arm and a leg for a replacement but Sekurit does make a replacement windshield directly. My guess is it's identical to the one sold by GM for less money.
Tripower, I think you are correct. I ran into this issue on my '99 Z/28 and this was the case. Although there was less price difference since the car was older, etc.

·
Flying the Pontiac Flag
554 Posts
Tripower, I think you are correct. I ran into this issue on my '99 Z/28 and this was the case. Although there was less price difference since the car was older, etc.
I may find out shortly as I have to replace my windshield and was looking at options. One place can get some really cheap glass (they don't even recommend them!), Pilkington, PGW, Sekurit and GM. I asked for "Saint Gobain" and she didn't see that but when she said they could get "Sekurit" I figured that was the OEM piece direct from the mfg for about half the price of the "GM" piece.

As a side, a few members here have replaced their windshields with PGW (formerly PPG) windshields and have had no issues.

To the OP, it sounds like cheap glass was used may not have fit correctly causing the leaking. I've read of some cheaper brands having fitment issues. I've found a decent G8 windshield seems to run in the high $300's low $400's range in my area.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The GM dealer that sells parts via the net (not sure if I can mention the name) shows the OEM glass at a list price of 695.93 and "your" price of 472.19 . Considerable discount...

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
The GM dealer that sells parts via the net (not sure if I can mention the name) shows the OEM glass at a list price of 695.93 and "your" price of 472.19 . Considerable discount...
You can mention it, but you can't directly link to it or continue to repeatedly push said place, because that's considered promotion.

As per the rules linked here...

The Forum does not prohibit occasional and casual mention of non-supporting vendors. But those mentions cannot be so specific that they include addresses, phone numbers, sales contact names, e-mail addresses, URLs or links. And if the "casual" references become frequent, they will be considered as marketing and promotion.
Mention the name of the company, and maybe the part number if it's not already been stated. Anyone who has ever used google in their lifetime could find it from there.

See? Easy!

·
Flying the Pontiac Flag
554 Posts
I actually got a quote of about $475 from the local dealer as a "deal". It's still higher than the quality aftermarket replacements but better than paying list. There's still install on top of that.

·
Registered
356 Posts
They would also only use OEM glass because that is the only way GM will pay for the repair.
I was just pointing out the fact that my dealer said the OEM glass had an acustical coating on it. I had never heard of such a thing until they informed me about it.

·
Banned
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Ok Lesson learned had them replace the winshield with a one from the dealer car is quet now liek it was before. He also looked in the catelog for me and our cars do come with Acustic sound winshield

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Ok Lesson learned had them replace the winshield with a one from the dealer car is quet now liek it was before. He also looked in the catelog for me and our cars do come with Acustic sound winshield

Good to know. We should sticky this as there's great info here. Thanks to all who contributed!

--zep

·
Flying the Pontiac Flag
554 Posts
I just had a PGW installed yesterday. It is also an acoustic windshield called "Soundmaster" (it's marked as such). Seems just as quiet as the original.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
The acoustic windshield is also lighter than the standard one. In the Pontiac line only the G8 and Torrent got the acoustic windshield.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Retainer Clips

The above information is a great help in getting a windshield replaced. My first G8 replacement was with the Saint Gobain from the Thailand plant just like the originals. I tried to find this windshield for the second replacement without luck. The only windshields on offer locally were the Pilkington acoustic and the PGW Soundmaster. I chose the Pilkington and cannot tell a difference from stock. Make certain the little ear symbol is in the lower right corner.
Before you take your G8 to the installer, please note how tight the plastic “air inlet grilles” fit the lower edge of the windshield. (Grilles must be the Aussie term, see Service Manual.) If you like this fitment, it is best to show up at the installation with a pocket full of retainers. These retainers are “one time use” items and will be more or less destroyed when the grilles are removed. Your installer will not know or care about these retainers and your local dealer will most likely not stock them. His computer screen does not correctly show what came with your car. With acknowledgment to Patrick at shopgmparts.com the following are the correct GM part numbers:
Drivers side, single level yellow pin with natural color grommet; P/N 92138942 for a pack of 10. Service manual says 4 are required, somehow they used 6???
Passenger side, double level white pin with black grommet; P/N 92138946 for a pack of 10. Service manual says 4 required, 6 used?
Outboard end, each side requires a double height red pin with blue grommet; P/N 92138966 for pack of 10. Book says 2, 2 used.
The six scrivets that you remove to change the cabin air filter are reuseable, if the installer doesn’t lose them. P/N 92138627 for a pack of 5.
Your local dealer will try to sell you P/N 92139032. This is the white pin only for the passenger side. It is not necessary if you buy the set part number above.
Show up at the installation with a copy of the service manual pages that detail the removal and installation of the Grilles, love that word. Your installer will not read these pages because he has been installing windshields for 45 years and already has all necessary knowledge. However, it will give you added credibility when you explain to him how pi$$ed you will be when he breaks the mounting bosses on your grilles. If he doesn’t have or use the thin forked end pri tool, he can break the plastic. Make sure he notes the colors of all pins and grommets and replaces with the same color. It shouldn’t be this difficult.
Good luck,
RJPGXP

·
Registered
157 Posts
Great wrap-up of this thread. I wonder if any dealer could get the OEM St.Gobain piece by ordering through GM service parts channels as usual.
Pilkington, if you dont know this, owns the company formerly known as "L.O.F.", or Libby-Owens-Ford, one of GMs primary glass suppliers since the 50's (think "E-Z-Eye" and "Soft-Ray" trademarks). The kind of things judges might look for in certain car shows, or collectors may look for when buying some cars.
Patrick, whom you refer to, was who I also was talking about in my post earlier.

Thanks again for nailing this down once and for all (maybe, lol), and I hope you dont need any more new glass for your G8....

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Before you take your G8 to the installer, please note how tight the plastic “air inlet grilles” fit the lower edge of the windshield. (Grilles must be the Aussie term, see Service Manual.) ...

Show up at the installation with a copy of the service manual pages that detail the removal and installation of the Grilles, love that word.
That is not an Aussie term. It is what they are and always have been called to my knowledge. What would you call them?

P.S. I'm not trying to be a prick, just pointing out the facts :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Just called to have windshield replaced in wife's car and 3 windshields came up with oem calling for acoustic. Just FYI. I know it was mentioned before but local glass guy computer is where this came from

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
About this Discussion
39 Replies
20 Participants
Byoficr
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing