Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, somebody is gonna tell me to search this topic, but everything I find is several years old and not too definitive. What ever we do right now may be just temporary. Eventually the radio head and face plate are going to be replaced, but there are other priorities for the $$ right now. That being said, we need something that at least sounds decent in the meantime. The front door speakers are originals, but damaged. The rear door speakers have been replaced with Kicker 11KS60 4 ohm units. I also recognize that water intrusion from behind the speakers looks to be a concern. Has anyone successfully addressed that?
I'm not much of an audio guy, so are there compatibility concerns with the stock radio head for now? I need some some specific suggestions that are up to date. Thank You.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I agree lots of the information is quite old.
I've been meaning to write a long post about my audio setup, many things I have done nobody else seems to have done...

The stock speakers are screwed on to plastic brackets that then screw on to the doors.
It's possible to unscrew the stock speakers from the brackets to fit new ones, but the holes are a bit smaller than needed for most aftermarket speakers. I massaged my Hertz Energy's to fit, took some Dremel time and some thin rubber gasket tape to make it work.
If doing it again I would use these, instead of spending 5-6 hours to reuse the stock brackets, just screw it on and done:
Aerpro | First Choice
Aerpro | First Choice
They are only sold in Australia but some sellers on eBay are willing to sell to USA/Canada.

The front speakers have tweeters in the dash, so the correct replacement will be components. When picking new speakers check how the tweeter needs to be wired, some speakers will require you to run a new cable from the door to the tweeter so they can work. PITA avoid if possible. The way the Alpine S-S65C does it is the best, just wire the separate crossover between the stock tweeter wiring and the new tweeter and done.

I would remove/disconnect the centre speaker once going to an aftermarket radio - maybe even with just new speakers?
Best to match front and rear speakers also of course.

No feedback on water, I'm in a dry climate here in Calgary (similar to Denver), I pulled the speakers after 2 years and they still looked new and they didn't seem to have been wet ever - but it doesn't rain much here. The stock speaker bracket does have a sort of shield above the speaker.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I put Infinity Kappas in my front and rear doors. The rears corroded from water exposure after several years and started crackling. The voice coil was seizing. I replaced them with some Polks rated for marine use. They don't sound as nice. The Kappas are still going strong in the front doors though. I'd write the model numbers, but neither are available anymore.

What's the cutout diameter on those Aerpro adapters?

Somewhere around here I've posted the stock cutout diameters.

Reactions: GT Drew

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I messaged Aerpro about their adapters. They do have larger cutout diameters.

The internal sizing for the APS290F is 144mm, the sizing for the APS290R is 142mm. Both spacers seem like they would fit a 5.5" cut-out nicely.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts