Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 2 years ago, I used the G8 to go buy groceries. After getting home I took everything in and all was good, until the weekend when I realized... where's my ice cream?

Yup. I left it in the trunk. In the summer.

Long story short, the trunk STILL smells like a blend of sour milk and old cheese!! I've tried everything I can think of (sun, vinegar, shampooing, etc), but the cream is just soaked too hard in the padding.

I'm not having any luck finding an OEM replacement for a price I can afford, so now I'm looking at these trimmable mats:

I figure that I could rip out the carpet and padding, then just put the plastic original in place and cover it with this rubber mat.

Buuuut, the ones I'm finding are only 37" deep, where the trunk is more like 40" deep.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I bought a trunk liner from Autoanything.com, already trimmed and fit perfect since I couldn't get my hands on an OEM one. I believe it was from Lloyds Mats off hand but they have a few different options.

·
Premium Member
9,480 Posts
Picture(s)? Tried a stain removal or similar entity?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's not a lot to show in a picture, it LOOKS normal! But I've seriously tried everything I can think of, even had it professionally detailed! The mold seems to have grown inside of the padding, though, so even if the smell is gone for a few days it ends up coming back.

I just now placed an order with AutoAnything, they have a rubber line that's supposed to be a perfect fit for $58.47 with free shipping. They have a 30 day return policy, so if it doesn't work out then I can always return it (minus return shipping cost, I guess). But still, for the price it's worth trying!

Estimated delivery is 9/20/22 - 9/25/22, so I'll post pics when it comes in :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yeah interiors can be real bad about retaining smells. Only thing I can think of is getting in there with an extractor, a good carpet enzyme and go over everything multiple times. To your point, it may be down into the base material. My friend spilled Chinese food in the cloth seat of his Chrysler in the middle of summer and it got down into the foam, we tried everything we could think of including stripping the seat and trying to flush the foam and nothing worked long term.

·
Registered
992 Posts
There's not a lot to show in a picture, it LOOKS normal! But I've seriously tried everything I can think of, even had it professionally detailed! The mold seems to have grown inside of the padding, though, so even if the smell is gone for a few days it ends up coming back.

I just now placed an order with AutoAnything, they have a rubber line that's supposed to be a perfect fit for $58.47 with free shipping. They have a 30 day return policy, so if it doesn't work out then I can always return it (minus return shipping cost, I guess). But still, for the price it's worth trying!

Estimated delivery is 9/20/22 - 9/25/22, so I'll post pics when it comes in :)
Why dont you do a search for
Dark Heather Automotive Trunk Lining and cut it to pattern.
also under lining can be bulk purchased too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@lastcall190 , that's exactly what I think about!! LOL I'm tempted to take it to a "bad" neighborhood and toss the keys in the front seat...

@kevtheo1191 , you're definitely right on that one! I removed all of the lining and scrubbed the metal and bolts (working to get in good around the edges) with soapy water, then vinegar, then sucked it out with a wet / dry vac. That helped a lot and I thought it was good, but eventually the smell came back.

At this point I've taken the floor out and have everything else in, and there's been no apparent smell for a week. So I THINK it's all just in the padding now.

@IcudahadaG8 , I appreciate the thought but I've already ordered the rubber now :-/ It's OK, though, I use the trunk enough that I think the rubber would be better anyway. I'm tired of groceries sliding around and having to crawl inside the trunk to get them from the back! LOL Hopefully the rubber will keep them from sliding around like that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The mat from AutoAnything came in last week, and I just got it put in yesterday. Here are the promised pics:

Road surface Automotive tire Flooring Composite material Wood
Hood Architecture Flooring Tints and shades Space

The ends look hand cut, they're just a tad ragged so I think they used scissors! Which isn't a problem, just notable.

And so far, no smell :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts