Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I really want to beef up the audio. I've replaced the doors with 651s's, so I'm pretty satisfied with the highs. Now for the lows. What I'd really like to accomplish would be to replace the stock 8's in order to keep a box out of the trunk. Here is my plan:

Damplifier pro trunk and rear deck covering
Swap stock 8s for 2 Sundown SD2 (4 ohm) 8s
Run MTX RE-Q to manage bass levels and get remote from signal input
Power with Alpine MRV/MPV-M500 mono amp

I think I can come in under 750 for everything on this setup. Is anyone running something similar? Will it be enough for rock and hip hop, or should I just settle for a 12" trunk box?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Speaking from experience your going to have a ton of rattle with those 2 in the rear deck.

I run the same amp powering 4 subs ( all SVC, 2 in deck and 2 12" in trunk) and I have 2 layers of deadner, 1" of closed cell foam, clay between speakers/deck, even isolating screw rattles. I will say the more time you spend here the better it sounds.

If you want to go less dramatic then I did I think most people here would tell you to put 2 10"s or something like that in the trunk. Even a single unit maybe. Some would say take out the stock 8's and that will allow for sound to pass through better but I chose to full mine, could also throw in some midbass speakers. All a balancing act depending how much bass you want.

Also I really wouldn't recommend the MTX RE-Q, great little device but pretty unneeded in this setup. Almost all of the Alpine amp's have really easy to use speaker level inputs. That and the amp has enough adjustment on it really to not warrant the cost of the converter, although some may contest that.

·
Texas state of mind...
1,139 Posts
The best thing about the REQ5 is that is takes the factory head unit's volume dependent EQ and flattens it, so that your bass response is linear with the volume knob.

Without that, you may find that if you tune the bass for a volume of say, 20, then go up to 30 for some partying or highway speeds...the bass response is lessened at that volume setting of 30. Tune it for 30, and at 20 the bass is WAY big.

If you have an amp with the bass knob (Alpine does) then you can at least adjust on the fly. So in that case, you can get away without the REQ5. I will say, it did improve my sound enough to make it worthy.

I went a step further a couple of months ago and went whole hog for SQL with a real DSP, etc., but that's another whole level of install and parts.

I will say, that rear deck is so flimsy and floppy, any sub in it with real power is going to be hard to dampen the noise/rattle/resonance from the deck. A simple small box, even a single 10" in the front corner of the trunk, with the stock rear subs removed, will provide ample bass into the cabin. You'll still need to dampen that rear deck though unless you like hearing weird flex noises and rattles.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can pick up a RE-Q for around 60 bucks, so I think it's worth it. And I'd love to keep the box out of the trunk, but I think 1000w running a 12 or possibly 2 10s might save me a ton of hassle. I'd just pull the stock 8s and use the mounts as portholes after deadening. I don't know if I'd be happy with 8s. I'm in love with low and midbass.

·
Texas state of mind...
1,139 Posts
I can pick up a RE-Q for around 60 bucks, so I think it's worth it. And I'd love to keep the box out of the trunk, but I think 1000w running a 12 or possibly 2 10s might save me a ton of hassle. I'd just pull the stock 8s and use the mounts as portholes after deadening. I don't know if I'd be happy with 8s. I'm in love with low and midbass.

Do you have a spare? If you don't, the spare hole makes a great enclosure spot.

·
Texas state of mind...
1,139 Posts
I don't but I really hate driving without one.
Ahhh, just noticed you are in Houston. Love that town. Victoria here.

I make sure I have funds available if I have a bad flat that can't be repaired with either the built in compressor ****, or a plug kit.

And I try not worry about it hahah.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to bring some closure to the thread, I ended up running a JL 10W6V2 in a sealed box powered by a JL JX500.1

Conclusion: Don't waste money on replacing 8s. Single high powered 10 is perfect for me. W6 is a killer SQ sub.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts