Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about speaker replacement. I've seen a lot of interesting threads in the forum, but never seen one about exactly this question.

From DaMaine's wiring diagrams (thank you!! :) ) it looks like the front door speakers and the tweeters are wired in parallel, and either have integrated crossovers or are fed full-range signals. Furthermore, looking at the front door speakers, it looks like they are full-range, albeit with a whizzer cone rather than a real tweeter. Please post if any of this is not correct.

While I don't like the sound of the highs from the factory speakers, I do think the image is pretty good, and I'd like to preserve the speaker placement.

So I'm wondering if it would be better to use

1) a single set of components, or
2) full-range speakers in the doors with additional component tweeters in the dash.

Right now I'm looking at 2.6 ohm Infinity Kappas.

I think the center speaker contributes to the imaging and will replace it with a Kappa 3.5" speaker either way, possibly with the resistor mod.

Thanks for your opinions.

·
Missing G8s
245 Posts
I'm looking at something similar. I was thinking of an entire system replace. I used to roll a 1996 Suburban with a beautiful Panasonic head unit/Infinity Kappa 2-ways/JL W6/Xtant amps setup but the GXP seems to be a bit pricklier to modify keeping the factory head unit in place.

Are the perforations near the windows on the dash actual tweeters? How hard would it be to replace the two subs in the deck? I don't imagine replacing the component speakers would be too challenging, nor amp mounting in the very front of the trunk.

Does anyone have any insight on these topics?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I started a similar thread. I did an infinity install in my 04 Avalanche and found the wire connection where the tweeters and door split off. By mounting my x-over there, I didn’t have to run any new wires. Cons are I can’t access my x-overs and it uses factory wiring. Does anyone know where that connection is located in the dash?

As far as OP questions. If you are going with a higher impedance speaker, my guess is you will need the resistor mod on the center channel. The higher impedance will reduce the front speaker volume making the center channel stick out more. As far as full range and tweeter go, you will need to make sure the tweeter has a frequency limiter on it in some manner. The crossover component set would be my preferred solution.

·
Premium Member
7,445 Posts
For what it's worth. This an eleven year, eight months, and five days thread revival and the username last posted over ten years ago.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts